Re: Zone Alarm & Wireless Access Point Security

In article <b7bsu1l190b9cpc7um1jfjb0ajp08aqp5t@xxxxxxx>,
nospam@xxxxxxxxxx says...
There are a lot of differing opinions regarding software firewalls.
It is evident that even the best hardware appliances can't keep out
all the threats. So I research the problem and do what I think is
best, to date I think that Zone Alarm is a better option that the XP
firewall.

There are a lot of folks in the industry who agree and there are
those who don't.

I used them here for years, but late last year, I bought a cheap
wireless NAT router so I could have 2 computers share the cable
connection here. Since then, I have removed the software firewalls that
I used to use. I am now so happy that I have the router. I suppose
somehow somewhere someone could (perhaps) break thru the router and get
in from the outside, but I have not seen it happen yet, and I personally
doubt it ever will. In my mind, the chances are greater that someone
could get thru a software firewall as they are more prone to bugs and
problems with config. I don't worry about outbound at all, since I keep
it clean here and it just isn't an issue.

But if you prefer ZA then fine. I prefer not to load up on tons of
security software and apps and just use some common sense and keep the
stuff off to start with. You should see some of the people on the
security forums... they must be running 2 dozen security apps. It's
ridiculous. I suspect that's all they use their machine for most of the
time.

At any rate, whatever works for you.. :)

--
Kerodo

  • RE: firewall question/confusion
    ... security on that site, cool feature.. ... If you need the router and want a firewall too ... I purchased a D-link 604 wired ... and that running two software firewalls is not a good ...
  • Linksys Router/Switch
    ... the router has a fairly good ... always use a combination of hardware & software firewalls ... to double up on security. ...
  • Re: A home computer is a forensic evidence room
    ... A security plan that first covers recovery, and data protection is key. ... Anyone within range of your wireless transmission could connect to your network and use it or capture your computing sessions. ... reset the wireless router to factory: press and hold reset 20 seconds. ...
    (alt.2600)
  • RE: Cant enter 2 XP machines into a Workgroup
    ... Firewalls like NIS modify Windows own security files. ... If a comsumer level router like those of Linksys and Netgear ...
  • Re: Wireless intrusion - WPA and TKIP cracked with ease
    ... model number of ALL your wireless hardware. ... unpatched security holes in your unspecified router and firmware. ... protocols to select, but on a different page, had an encryption on/off ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)