Re: How to block MSN Messenger File transfer

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:50:59 -0800, spyderxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to block file transfer with MSN Messenger on a
> Firewall (PIX 6.3.5 and 7.0.4)
> I have found those ports:  TCP 6891 to 6901
>
> Is there a way to disallow the transfers?
> I have learn that transfer and not done directly, it can pass by an MSN
> servers.
>
> There must be a way  to block this kind of traffic.
>
> Do somebody know?
>
> Thank you for your help

You can either use the layer 4-7 inspection engine (check the PIX docs or
Google) or you can block the ports MSN uses which are:

tcp ports 6891-6900

However I think new versions of MSN will default to port 80 so blocking
the ports may not be enough but test it out with the latest version of MSN
anyways and see where that gets you.

Good luck.

--
Nick DePetrillo
Network Security Engineer

  • Re: How to block file transfering in MSN Live 8.1
    ... Can you give some info about your Firewall, MSN 8.1 uses standart msn ports ... but if it find 80 tcp port MSN 8.1 will connect to internet from tcp 80, ...
  • Re: All ports closed!
    ... this morning i noticed i wasnt able to connect on msn messenger... ... told me the ports could be closed. ... so i shut nod32 (the only security ... and I installed the latest nvidia drivers back ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: All ports closed!
    ... this morning i noticed i wasnt able to connect on msn messenger... ... told me the ports could be closed. ... so i shut nod32 (the only security ... and I installed the latest nvidia drivers back ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • All ports closed!
    ... this morning i noticed i wasnt able to connect on msn messenger... ... told me the ports could be closed. ... so i shut nod32 (the only security ... and I installed the latest nvidia drivers back ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Iptables
    ... Try TCP 139 and TCP 445. ... > Which ports do I need to open for access to windows shares from another ... Network Security Engineer ...
    (Fedora)