Re: Wireless Security

brad_pitstain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have set up a wireless router in my office for visiting clients.

If I set up security with WEP do I need to give each client a password?

For sure if you set-up WEP on the router, then each client's NIC must know the WEP key that's being used on the router so the machine can connect to the router and access the Internet. If they client's machine doesn't know the WEP key, the the machine is going to timeout getting a DHCP IP from the router. That IP most likely will be a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP the machine will get that was assigned by the O/S. The 169 IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN. But the 169 IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet, because it never got a DHCP IP from the DHCP server on the router due to the WEP key the client machine is using or not using doesn't match the WEP key the router has been configured to use.

I heard that some wireless set-ups have a some kind of password set-up now that can be used by a wireless client. I don't know if that applies to WEP maybe WPA. I don't use wireless anymore.

So, either give the WEP key to the clients or don't enable WEP and leave the wireless network open and the clients can access the open wireless network without needing a WEP key.

You may want to a personal FW on your machine to protect it.

You can also post to alt.internet.wireless.

Duane :)

  • Re: WZC disconnect issues
    ... I set the router to broadcast its SSID. ... >Windows to configure my wireless settings" box. ... >and if I enter the preper WEP key, ... Right click on Wireless Network Connection icon ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Losing WEP key in iPAQ Wireless Manager
    ... The problem is why after configuring a wireless network on my ... SSID is "BOB" and it's WEP key is 1111111111. ... into my iPAQ using the iPAQ wireless manager software. ... can not connect to the router (it's turned off, ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Wireless Networking Issue
    ... and it has an Intel 2200BG wireless card built in. ... When I search for the router, ... I guessed at this point that the WEP key was causing havoc, ... John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: MC Extender - How do I get my wireless key entered? Sees the netw
    ... if not, please update your router. ... >I hooked up my new media center extender to the tv and proceeded with setup. ... > The extender sees both sides of my wireless network. ... there is NO PLACE for me to enter my WEP Key. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Wireless module bcm43xx in 2.6.17 kernel
    ... I have found out that you must use the bcm43xx-fwcutter utility from berlios.de to extract all the *.fw files from the bcmlw.sys windows ... yes the router is working as I can pick up dhcp offers from windows machines. ... However, I just fired up the networking GUI in Debian Testing and I get a similar GUI I got in Ubuntu. ... Just select the wireless card from the GUI, and I guess you have to go to properties to setup the SSID and the WEP key and then just re-activate the card. ...
    (Debian-User)