Re: Closing ports using Sygate

In article <43DB71CB.74FB3A46@xxxxxxx>, ohaya@xxxxxxx says...

> tenplay wrote:
> >
> > Greetings! I am a user of the free version of the Sygate Personal
> > Firewall. I was informed by the "Shields Up!!" security testing website
> > that I should close external access to Port 1025. Please give
> > instructions. Thank you. Mike
>

> Mike,
>
> I don't think that that version of Sygate has a direct way to configure
> which ports are open/listening, but if you go to Tools -> Application,
> you'll get a window showing a list of applications. If you then click
> the "Advanced" button at the bottom of that window, you'll get another
> window, and there are two radio buttons, "act as client" and "act as
> server".
>
> I think that when the "act as server" button is selected/enabled, the/a
> port associated with the application is left open by Sygate.
>
> For some reason that I've never understood, it seems like Sygate sets
> both the "act as client" and "act as server" buttons set/enabled by
> default, and you have to go in manually as I described above to shut
> down potentially listening ports associated with applications.

He needs to find out what program/service has the port open and then do
as you mentioned above, remove the act as server check. That should fix
the problem. If not, then he can indeed create an advances rule to
block that port if he's sure it's always 1025 that's open. I believe
the free version of Sygate allows you 20 advanced rules, so that should
be more than enough. You can block by port and address, etc.

--
Kerodo

  • Re: Best free firewall software Kerio vs. Zone Alarm?
    ... I just noticed that BlackICE's intrusion detection system notices ... some firewall sites on the web, I got infected with the Worm32 virus. ... open port. ... It said Sygate was stealthing ALL ports. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Port 80
    ... close port 80 with Sygate PF. ... Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you ... [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web ...
  • Re: svchost.exe and the internet.........HELP!!
    ... Svchost uses Dcom on port 135 which in turn negotiates a NetBIOS session on ... I use sygate to and if you create a advanced rule for svchost.exe .. ... i installed broadband on my home computer (running Windows ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Sygate Personal Firewall: Stealth Scan Problem
    ... I found this somehwere on the Sygate site a while back. ... > I used the Sygate's own Stealth Scan page with Sygate Personal Firewall 5.0> Build 1117, and the page told me of the following problems:> ... This means> that you are not running any application on this port, ... This is the port you are using to communicate to> our Web Server. ...