Re: firewall SP2 is good?

In message <1137427729.469752.172410@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"mordox@xxxxxxxxx" <mordox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Well I feel that Windows Firewall is not up to the mark. I installed
>windows XP with SP2 and always had the firewall on. As an example say,
>I did not add Yahoo Messenger in the exception list. I start Yahoo
>Messenger. A message pops up "yahoo.... is tring to connect to the
>internet...Unblock.....Block". While I see this message I find that
>Yahoo Messenger has already connected in the mean time. This is not
>what firewalls are supposed to do ? I don't know how to fix it so I
>installed some other firewall suite.

XP's firewall only blocks inbound connections, not outbound connections.
This is reasonable, if you've already got the malware on your system it
can and will defeat virtually anything that you (as a user) are capable
of doing.

In other words, by the time you install malware, it's all but too late
to use a firewall to stop it from connecting out again.

--
Going to war over religion is fighting to see who's got the
better imaginary friend.

  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... Whern I install the SP1 tonight it ... Possibly some process is still doing changes to the registry. ... It says firewall is turned off. ... Find the Windows Firewall Service and make sure that the startup ...
  • Re: Ftp connection - it worked
    ... I installed Comodo and it really allows me to connect to my ftp sites. ... strange behavior since the windows firewall allow my Limewire and MSN ... I would recommend that you install either ZoneAlarm ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Vista Hacked
    ... other words what confirmation do you have that the original install was ... Probably the best solution for a firewall is to use a router, ... Either should show active connections, many of which will be your machine ... If you have Google toolbar or update manager installed then random ...
  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... If you have an install disk that does not include SP2 and you currently have ... Possibly some process is still doing changes to the registry. ... It says firewall is turned off. ... Find the Windows Firewall Service and make sure that the ...
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC) shuts down computer
    ... Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall: ... Connections, then click Network Connections. ... ***Install a good firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)