Re: Can't change my internal and external ip addresses

"Nicky" <hackeras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

?/? Jason Edwards ??????:
> "Nicky" <hackeras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> Jason thanks for the answers bu here i have some more to ask on what
> you said:

Try ipconfig /displaydns
Then ipconfig /flushdns
Then ipconfig /displaydns

It's just a temporary store of DNS results so the number of external DNS
requests made by your PC is not excessive.

ipconfig /release releases your lease on the IP address you had.

> But what if i wanted a different one for example 10.0.0.2 or anyhting
> random ie. 10.0.0.50?

Then you have to be able to tell the DHCP server to issue the address you want.
It may or may not be possible to configure the DHCP server in your modem/router
to do this.

> I have only 1 pc and iam experimenting with this things and i have set
> the lease for ever. This emans that in autmatic mdoe i wont be abel to
> get an ip differnet that 10.0.0.1? How can i change that? (except of
> doign that manullay)

You probably can't make DHCP issue a different address each time without manual
intervention because it just doesn't work like that.

> So ipconfig /release clears my current ip address and i have nothing
> and then ipconfig /renew gives me the same ip address with a ne lease.

It does.

> 2 questions.

> a) How does it know what was the previous ip address i had before i
> ipconfig /release it? Does it store it in someplace?

Yes.

> b) When we ipconfig /release then we say we get new lease.
> Does that mean that we get the same lease we had before but just the
> time starts from the beginning, so if it was for 1 week we ghet a lease
> for a whole 7 days while before doing that maybe we where in in the
> middle of our current lease week?

Usually you will get a new lease of the same IP but the exact behaviour depends
on the DHCP server.
It's not unknown for broadband ISPs to have variable lease times because some
customers want a continuous connection and some want it for only a few minutes
each day. Sometimes the lease time gets longer after the first renewal which
usually occurs half way through the current lease. If the IP changed at renewal
time then a lot of people would be very upset because any connection in progress
at the time would be lost. So DHCP tries not to change the IP when the lease is
renewed.

> But sicne it can identify my NIC(cause of the hardware address) and the
> PC(cause of the hostname) then it always can identify my specific
> equipment.
> Changind the ip address wouldnt make a difference, would it?!

It may not make a difference to you but changing the IP address at lease renewal
time would upset anyone with a download in progress at that time.

> By DHCP you mean the ISP's DHCP server right in a same manner as we do
> when we set our router's built-in dhcp to assign ip addresses for our
> internal hosts.
> Correct?

Yes. There is a DHCP server at your ISP which issues your router with an IP
address.
Your router has a DHCP server which issues IP addresses to your own PCs.

> And if yes, we get this same ip address for how long?
> Until the ISP's lease value for our ip address expires?

When I last used a dynamic IP myself the IP address changed at random times when
the ISP expanded or changed their network.
This could be at intervals of months or years.

> DHCP will usually try to give you the same IP address as far as possible
because
> this causes minimum disruption to your connection.

> minimum disruption to your connection? Umm, how you mean please?

Most people like to have the same IP address all the time and may have set up
DNS services which depend on it remaining the same.
Even if you have a static IP your ISP may assign it by DHCP.

Jason

> Sorry for my too many questions, but i need to get enlightend :-)

  • Re: Cant change my internal and external ip addresses
    ... > Renew means renew the lease, the IP address will not necessarily change. ... I tough that ipconfig /renew would just give me a brand new ip ... This is because the dhcp server will assign the firt available ip ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Windows CE netbook: Failed to associate with [SSID of router]
    ... it on three APs, ... I've had a look with ipconfig, and I notice that the lease was obtained last ... Anyway, I've since rebooted the main router/AP (which has the DHCP server), ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: dhcp server - ip address are not released
    ... On MMC dhcp server, all address are maked to be used, even if the expiration ... > Have you tried releasing the client with ipconfig /release to see if it ... > is added to the end of the lease to prevent against clock drift between ... > DHCP client and server. ...
  • Re: Cant change my internal and external ip addresses
    ... There is a DHCP server at your ISP which issues your router with an IP ... > a) ipconfig /release release my lease on the IP address i have and also ... DHCP and lease times allows your ISP to assign you an IP address of their choice ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: changing DHCP server used to assign IP address to laptop
    ... >> Is the cable modem interface a different physical interface from ... I'm assuming that because the 24 hour lease was still ... Does your office network have its own DHCP server? ...
    (Debian-User)