Re: Is there a firewall that can block a particular connection?

In article <uJzvf.8619$43.7439@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
somebody.@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...

> "Casey Klc" <casey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > In article <1136507196.669803.3720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > artech@xxxxxxxxx says...
> >> "Opera [Opera.exe] is trying to connect to
> >> www.google.analytics.com[64.233.183.147] using remote port 80 [HTTP -
> >> World Wide Web]. Do you want to allow this program to access the
> >> network?"
> >>
> >> If I choose "No" my firewall (Sygate) won't let Opera (my web browser)
> >> access ANY address. If I choose "Yes" the firewall will let Opera
> >> access ALL next addresses without further notification. I find this
> >> "all or nothing" tactic for the browser at least stupid and extremely
> >> unsafe!
> >>
> >> So is there a software firewall that would let me choose (with a click
> >> or two) to block a particular connection instead of the whole internet
> >> access for the browser?
> >>

> > Gordon, it's not a big deal to set Sygate to do what you want.
> > You don't need to have all or nothing with Opera. Do this in
> > Sygate:
> > Application Rules: Allow Opera; remote port 80, 443; act as
> > client not as server.
> > Go to tools/advanced rules/click add. Work the tabs L to R and
> > fill in the blanks with:
> > Action: block
> > Remote Host-IP address: 64.233.183.147
> > Ports and Protocols: TCP; remote port 80; both in/out
> > Application: check Opera
> > Use the UP arrow and run this rule up near the top if
> > you have other adv. rules.
> >
> > Thats it--Opera cannot connect to 64.233.183.147
> > Casey
>
> That's fine as long as
> a) he doesn't mind looking up IP's for sites he wants to connect to
> b) he's willing to ignore other sites hosted at other IP's that are part of
> the same top level domain
> c) the site in question uses only one IP to host the top level page
> d) he understands that when the DNS entry changes his blocks become invalid.
>
> -Russ.

The question asked was answered. If the roof falls in or
the power goes out, he won't be able to make a connection
either.
Casey

  • Re: Is there a firewall that can block a particular connection?
    ... >> access ALL next addresses without further notification. ... it's not a big deal to set Sygate to do what you want. ... > You don't need to have all or nothing with Opera. ... the same top level domain ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Annoying popup
    ... > Casey Klc wrote: ... I have used Firefox but I find Opera futher ... Craig, ... best browser I have ever used--especially the tab browsing feature. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Is there a firewall that can block a particular connection?
    ... If I choose "Yes" the firewall will let Opera ... it's not a big deal to set Sygate to do what you want. ... You don't need to have all or nothing with Opera. ... Allow Opera; remote port 80, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)