Re: Is there a firewall that can block a particular connection?

In article <1136507196.669803.3720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
artech@xxxxxxxxx says...
> "Opera [Opera.exe] is trying to connect to
> www.google.analytics.com[64.233.183.147] using remote port 80 [HTTP -
> World Wide Web]. Do you want to allow this program to access the
> network?"
>
> If I choose "No" my firewall (Sygate) won't let Opera (my web browser)
> access ANY address. If I choose "Yes" the firewall will let Opera
> access ALL next addresses without further notification. I find this
> "all or nothing" tactic for the browser at least stupid and extremely
> unsafe!
>
> So is there a software firewall that would let me choose (with a click
> or two) to block a particular connection instead of the whole internet
> access for the browser?

Gordon, it's not a big deal to set Sygate to do what you want.
You don't need to have all or nothing with Opera. Do this in
Sygate:
Application Rules: Allow Opera; remote port 80, 443; act as
client not as server.
Go to tools/advanced rules/click add. Work the tabs L to R and
fill in the blanks with:
Action: block
Remote Host-IP address: 64.233.183.147
Ports and Protocols: TCP; remote port 80; both in/out
Application: check Opera
Use the UP arrow and run this rule up near the top if
you have other adv. rules.

Thats it--Opera cannot connect to 64.233.183.147
Casey

  • Re: Opera 9.5 Built in Firewall
    ... Oh, yeah, it was me claiming Opera had a web browser, sure. ... I never said that they do not have a firewall built into their browser. ... was listening for the inbound connection requests). ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Internet Security
    ... pop-up blockers that come with Opera and Firefox. ... I like Opera the best. ... it will now offer features that Firefox and Opera have had ... I use Norton Internet Security Suite (AV and Firewall in one bundle) and PC ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Re: need help
    ... Opera itself shouldn't be the problem. ... Depending on what firewall you use, there should be an option that lets you ... In ZoneAlarm, for instance, double clicke the the ZA icon in the taskbar. ... Opera, in the column marked Access - Internet, click on the red X ...
  • Re: Firewall warnings about services.exe
    ... >Proxomitron as proxy for Opera.) ... A non-profit I'm with recently got some ... so I think my firewall has been saving me. ... Could someone with Win2k set their firewall to disallow all ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Is there a firewall that can block a particular connection?
    ... >> access ALL next addresses without further notification. ... it's not a big deal to set Sygate to do what you want. ... > You don't need to have all or nothing with Opera. ... the same top level domain ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)