Re: Ports getting hammered?

Duane Arnold wrote:
If you have closed the ports and ZA is not responding, then your problems are solved. If the router doesn't have SPI, then probes can come past the NAT router and I have had that happen on a Linksys I owned that didn't have SPI, which BlackIce I was using at the time blocked the probes.

Duane :)

Thanks for all the help Duane!
:)

  • Re: CISCO Vs Watchguard
    ... >> it appears to be a simple NAT ROUTER not a firewall. ... standard NAT based router that uses SPI - so it's much like a Linksys ... SPI on any product does all this. ... Considering that the standard Linksys NAT Router with SPI (their ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zone Alarm has blocked 552 intrusions in the last 3 hours!
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... NAT router, which cost no more or even less in the long run than ZA you ... A NAT router is an effective border device that ... It sits at the border of the untrusted network -- ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Windows XP Firewall
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... >>thoughts were on the built in firewall that Windows XP has. ... > FW and use Active Ports to watch outbound connections on a routine bases, ... > front of the machine and use IPsec to supplement the NAT router on outbound ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Why a software firewall?
    ... I have certainly seen a couple probes come through the Linksys router at ... port 1434 SQL server like the NAT router was not even there. ... 24/7 and the laptop that was on 24/7 at the time both having SQL Server ... I have also seen at least on other person report on a probe ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Proper firewall and NAT router
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... >> what way this is inferior to commercial firewall products. ... > It talks about the FW part of the NAT router for home usage. ... Useful links, thanks ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)