> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> "SHRED" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>>I no very little about firewalls.
>>>My setup:
>>>
>>>Cable access
>>>4 port SMC Barricade Router
>>>2 computers
>>>

>>>I recently installed ZoneAlarm and it is blocking attempts at port
>>>access.
>>

>> And you know this is happening with WAN Internet IP(s) or LAN IP(s) -
>> your machines behind the router?
>>
>>>I thought that having a physical firewall, like the SMC, stopped that at
>>>the router?
>>>

>> You may have something else happeing like some kind of mis-config of the
>> router and there are ports open or something like that or it's LAN
>> traffic that ZA is blocking.
>>
>> Duane :)
> These were pings from WAN.
> Both computers are behind the SMC.
>

> I did have "Virtual Server" settings, in the SMC Firewall, with service
> ports 6881-6991 "enabled".
> I just unchecked/disabled them. I think I had them that way a long time
> ago for online gaming.
>
> Would that make a difference?

Of course manually opened ports are going to be probed.
Are those the ports in question?
Does the router have logging what model SMC router is this?

Duane :)

  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: adsl router security
    ... ]>used the virtual server feature to route packets on ports 21 and 80 to the ... ]>running ssh and mysqld but no other network services. ... if you can if the router is programable ... Remember all a firewall does is to prevent certain packets getting ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: FIREWALL- worth the effort ?
    ... I only use internet intermitently and "pull the plug out" ... Do you have a home Cable/DSL Router? ... forward any ports from the outside world to your Macthrough ... The other function of a firewall is to prevent out bound ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)