Re: New XP user seeks Firewall advice

From: John Hyde (EJhyd_at_netscape.net)
Date: 11/10/05

Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:49:02 -0800

>>Where can I read up on IPSec??
>>

> You rang?
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm
>
> You can learn how to set/create rules by using the AnalogX rules. I
> implemented the AnalogX rules on my laptop here on the road behind
> BlackIce and made my adjustments, like disabling the IPsec rules for
> Windows Networking. I have not heard BI bark from the moment IPsec was
> enabled on the system, which I did back in Sept. 2005.
>
> You want to allow something like HTTP, NNTP, SMTP which I had to change
> the SMTP port from 25 to 587 because of EarthLink dial-up, you enable the
> Client-side rules on AnalogX implementation of IPsec rules.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813878
>
> http://www.analogx.com/contents/articles/ipsec.htm
>
> Duane :)

Ohhh, Boy. Reading to do! Thanks.

Is Blackice similar to ZoneAlarm? I'm using the free version of ZA
currently but have some dissatisfactions with it. I considered spending
money on the "Pro" Would implementing IPSec as you suggest make a
software firewall surplus?

JH

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New XP user seeks Firewall advice
    ... Using the XP FW supplemented by IPsec ... >> protocol or IP with XP's FW or any PFW solution is rock solid ... You can learn how to set/create rules by using the AnalogX rules. ... the SMTP port from 25 to 587 because of EarthLink dial-up, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: I am sick of windows firewall
    ... the XP FW if you need to stop outbound packets. ... I have made my adjustments to IPsec to supplement BlackIce ... the Windows networking ports even though BI was stopping ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: SOHO Firewall Recommendations
    ... > recommendations for a software based firewall solution for SOHO that ... Although BlackIce has had some issues as of late, ... I have also implemented IPsec on the XP and Win 2k machines to supplement ... which BI will also report on IPsec taking protection measures in its ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: New XP user seeks Firewall advice
    ... >> implemented the AnalogX rules on my laptop here on the road behind ... I have not heard BI bark from the moment IPsec ... > Is Blackice similar to ZoneAlarm? ... I use IPsec to supplement BI on the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: I am sick of windows firewall
    ... I have made my adjustments to IPsec to supplement BlackIce to fit my needs. ... In addition to that, I have set rules with BlackIce to block TCP and UDP ports from 1-65535, which means if I take BI off of it highest configuration rule of stopping all unsolicited inbound traffic, it's still blocking all unsolicited inbound traffic. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)