Re: PIX 501 firewall - DNS problem

From: Somebody. (somebody._at_spamout.russdoucet.com)
Date: 10/31/05

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:29:47 -0500

<wizonline@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1130776134.698389.200110@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Walter, Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> We use Windows 2003 server in main office. We only use DNS server not
> WINS Server. What amazes me about this problem is that this PIX was
> working well and all of the sudden one day it's not working.
>
> We have many other users using VPN Clients and it works fine. So I
> believe it's not the main office DNS or network problem. I am assuming
> there is something wrong with teh remote PIX firewall.
>
> Any more help???

When the clients are connected remotely, they will need to have your
internal DNS number, in order to resolve internal names. So, this would
have to appear in the client setup. If the client is resolving DNS with the
ISP-provided DNS, it will not work for your internal machines.

How you implement this varies with the software package, but that's the
source of your issue. It's not on the concentrator, it's on the client.
(or whatever configuration the concentrator pushes to the client if that's
how your system works).

-Russ.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet Speed
    ... I think what we are trying to say is to use the DHCP from the SBS and NOT ... DNS and WINS point to the SBS. ... as the server IP address. ... it is recommend to configure all SBS client computers' IP and DNS ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 70-294 next week
    ... to another DNS ... server for at least ... client, which then ... configuration on the client. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: Dual NIC vs Single NIC
    ... |> 135919 DNS Server Search Order Functionality in Windows ... Thank you for helping me to correct the misunderstand of DNS query ... Thank you again for your supplement about the client DNS cache issue. ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Dual NIC vs Single NIC
    ... I will again argue that turning off the client DNS cache (0 refresh ... 261968 Explanation of the Server List Management Feature in the Domain ... Internet when the SBS server is offline. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Dynamic Update of A&PTR Records - Best Practice?
    ... The DNS server does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol; ... For Windows Server 2003-based computers, the primary full computer name is ... When one of these events triggers a DNS update, the DHCP Client service, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)