Re: PIX 501 firewall - DNS problem

From: Somebody. (somebody._at_spamout.russdoucet.com)
Date: 10/31/05

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:29:47 -0500

<wizonline@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1130776134.698389.200110@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Walter, Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> We use Windows 2003 server in main office. We only use DNS server not
> WINS Server. What amazes me about this problem is that this PIX was
> working well and all of the sudden one day it's not working.
>
> We have many other users using VPN Clients and it works fine. So I
> believe it's not the main office DNS or network problem. I am assuming
> there is something wrong with teh remote PIX firewall.
>
> Any more help???

When the clients are connected remotely, they will need to have your
internal DNS number, in order to resolve internal names. So, this would
have to appear in the client setup. If the client is resolving DNS with the
ISP-provided DNS, it will not work for your internal machines.

How you implement this varies with the software package, but that's the
source of your issue. It's not on the concentrator, it's on the client.
(or whatever configuration the concentrator pushes to the client if that's
how your system works).

-Russ.