File Sharing, Broadband and NAT

From: Davy (david_at_REMOVETHISchobham.org.uk)
Date: 10/26/05

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:05:10 +0100

Recently I have made some major changes to my PC which make me think that I
need to review my file sharing policy.

I have moved from dial-up internet to broadband and installed a 3Com router
firewall.

The home network has 3 PCs which have file sharing enabled on all drives
The Share Permissions tab allows 'Network' change/read permissions. The
'Security' tab allows 'Everyone' full control. (MS Office gives problems
if I don't allow full access). This sounds a bit risky but as I understand
it 'everyone' means anyone who logs on with the correct username and
password. However, I must admit to being confused between the W2k
'Shares' properties 'Share Permissions' and 'Security'.

Since the NAT on the router makes the PCs invisible to the outside world and
the file shares are protected by password access then it seems safe.

My installation is:
W2000
Office 2000
Outpost PFW
The PCs are not logged on with admin privileges except when doing Windows
updates.
The router provides IP addresses to the PCs

Any thoughts?

Davy

Relevant Pages

  • File Sharing and Broadband
    ... Recently I have made some major changes to my PC which make me think that I ... The home network has 3 PCs which have file sharing enabled on all drives ... The Share Permissions tab allows 'Network' change/read permissions. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: How share program Files folder on LAN?
    ... >On my home LAN I cannot see the contents of the Program Files Folder on ... >admin on all PCs using XP. ... Simple File Sharing" enabled (it's the last item under Explore - ... "permissions" model for security settings. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How do you assign permissions to local network users on other m/cs?
    ... Setting up a network via a router, between laptop and pc, I found that ... Experimenting with the permissions via the security tab on the pc's ... Permissions that you assign to a local account on the PC ... Windows XP Professional File Sharing ...
  • Re: Setting Security/Permissions on a Folder??
    ... If you want simple file sharing, ... > want to set up individual accounts but rather administer rights thru ... >> The share permissions and the file system permissions are used ... >> Now share the folder and give Users full permission. ...
  • Re: Need Help on Assigning Specific Permissions to Shares
    ... can not be changed which would leave only ntfs permissions to control ... in groups to have necessary ntfs permissions. ... XP uses simple file sharing by default. ... > XP Pro but it doesn't say it works in Home edition. ...