Re: ping test failed

KKadow_at_gmail.com
Date: 10/24/05

Date: 23 Oct 2005 18:33:22 -0700

CSimmons29 wrote
> I have Windows XP firewall running
> A ping test at Shields UP gave me the following message:
> "Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) - Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo)
>
> I do not see how to configure the Windows firewall to prevent this.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Don't worry about it. The advice given by "Shields UP" is faulty.

The whole hoopla over ping and "stealthed" ports is meaningless.

  • Re: Spyware! Argh!
    ... Definitely have a firewall running, even if it's just he Windows ... > have a home network through which the internet connection is shared. ... > Our Dell has been getting slower and slower and we are being ...
  • Re: Event ID 1053 Help
    ... Not sure how ports can be blocked with no firewall running. ... This all started after I was trying to get my Windows Firewall working on ... the server. ...
  • Re: Unstealthy stealth mode.
    ... My system responded to that package, ... I never check those logs even, just scrolled in thousands of windows attacks to give example. ... I can find the articles explaining why Shields UP is just waste of bandwidth if you want. ... There are workarounds of course (like using UDP, non standard ports etc) but that time, if you hit a paranoid site admin, he will alert FBI. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: VPC v 7 and anti-virus software
    ... > version of XP Pro? ... excellent stuff, can't beat the price. ... Presently I only have the Windows XP Firewall running on the emulated ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc)
  • Sygate Open Ports
    ... I have just installed Sygate Personal Firewall on Windows XP Pro.When I ... check on Shields Up that all is secure it shows that Ports 135 and 1025 are ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)