Re: ANYONE HELP WITH SHIELDS UP PROBLEM?

From: Volker Birk (bumens_at_dingens.org)
Date: 10/03/05

    Date: 3 Oct 2005 08:45:13 +0200

    Paul.A.Bowden@btinternet.com wrote:
    > I've tested my PC from time to time over the past years against
    > Shieldsup! on the grc.com website and it has always given an entirely
    > positive reading - all ports closed and in 'stealth' mode.

    "Stealthing" is nonsense. Just read http://www.grcsucks.com
    BTW: This is the IP address, you're visible in the Internet with:

    http://www.dingens.org/forget-stealthing.cgi

    But you don't need "Stealthing". It's just misunderstanding the
    TCP/IP network protocol family.

    > Recently, when I test, I get a 'failed' message and info that Ports
    > 1032 and 1033 are open.

    Are they open really? You can test this by typing into a command shell:

    netstat -an

    or by using http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

    If there are any LISTENING sockets, which are NOT bound to 127.0.0.1,
    but are bound to 0.0.0.0 or your IP address, then those ports are open.

    > 1. what the result actually means? Am I really vulnerable?

    Usually, the "results" of GRC mean nothing. To test, what's really
    goin'on, just test like described.

    Yours,
    VB.

    --
    MAC-Filtering bringt so viel Schutz vor "Hackern" wie Zeitungspapier vor
    einer Atombome. (MAC filtering is protecting against "hackers" like newsprint

    • Re: Case Security Question
      ... What's up with pr0n? ... MAC-Filtering bringt so viel Schutz vor "Hackern" wie Zeitungspapier vor ... (MAC filtering is protecting against "hackers" like newsprint ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Norton Internet Security 2005
      ... MAC-Filtering bringt so viel Schutz vor "Hackern" wie Zeitungspapier vor ... (MAC filtering is protecting against "hackers" like newsprint ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: ZA Free and Generic Host Processor
      ... Why would svchost want to act as a server? ... MAC-Filtering bringt so viel Schutz vor "Hackern" wie Zeitungspapier vor ... (MAC filtering is protecting against "hackers" like newsprint ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Why do I need a software firewall?