SMB Firewall: NetGear FVX538 vs. DLink DFL-700

From: Computrav (tsolin_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/27/05

Date: 27 Sep 2005 11:40:58 -0700

One of my clients is in the market for a straight-forward hardware
firewall for their corporate office. Their office consists of about 5
total employees. They run their own mail & DNS server and have a few
other servers on their LAN, along with various client PCs.

The main requirements for the firewall device I want include:
   - VPN support w/std encryption protocols
   - DMZ port(s)
   - DHCP Server
   - IDS features w/e-mail notification (even if basic)
   - Relatively easy to administer (web interface, only moderate
networking knowledge req'd)

I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount of money on the device
(i.e., a nice Cisco PIX is out of the question). I've been reviewing
products aimed at the SMB market and am currently leaning towards one
of the following:
    - Netgear FVX538, ~$340.00 street price
      http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/FVX538.asp

    - D-Link DFL-700, ~$320.00 street price
      http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=327

They both are very cost-effective and seem to have the features that
would work well for their office. As mentioned above, I want one that
has DMZ support, which rules out a lot of models in the SMB space
(their mail & DNS server will end up in the DMZ). My experience with
both brands have been good, although I know the general tone of Netgear
is 'so-so'. The above NetGear device does have a great feature set
though, but I'm ultimately most concerned about the overall
effectiveness of the unit for it's intended job (as a firewall).

I also looked at these and am somewhat ruling them out for the reasons
stated:
    - SonicWall Pro 230 -- mainly cost reasons, price is ~$1,700
    - WatchGuard Firebox X500 -- mainly cost reasons, starts at around
$1,800 and some of the features we want are add-ons which would drive
the price up more

Can anyone provide some comments on the above or would anyone care to
suggest some other cost-effective alternatives to these two models?
Both of these models are pretty new so the reviews online are hard to
come by (I've found 1 or 2, but that's about it).

Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SMB Firewall: NetGear FVX538 vs. DLink DFL-700
    ... > One of my clients is in the market for a straight-forward hardware ... > firewall for their corporate office. ... > products aimed at the SMB market and am currently leaning towards one ... > $1,800 and some of the features we want are add-ons which would drive ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: DNS server not returning lookups
    ... NAT firewall and your PC is on the LAN. ... assuming that if this is an existing DNS zone, you've waited the 2 to 3 days ... In a DMZ and assuming that the DNS server is using real (a.k.a. ... Have the clients query your DNS server directly. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Internal people get Host unavailable error
    ... It sounds like a firewall issue. ... your clients are set to use a DNS server that is not ... internal (such as your ISPs DNS server), ... those computers using the hosts file (see http://www.accs - ...
  • Re: Win2003 DNS. Works fine from DNS Server, but not from clients
    ... on the DNS server. ... Turned off the firewall, and DNS worked fine from the ... DNS lookups fail from clients. ... The NSlookup on the clients is being directed to the right ip address. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: DNS resolution not working (Win2k Pro)
    ... but then they might be firewall or restricted to servicing only ... You need a reliable DNS server even if you have ... to RESOLVE addresses on behalf of your own clients.) ... What do you mean "of your own ISP"? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)