how do you display incoming and outgoing connections in windows?

jameshanley39_at_yahoo.co.uk
Date: 09/18/05

Date: 18 Sep 2005 08:30:53 -0700

netstat lists listening servers.

But when a connection is established, how do I know which end the
server is on? whether I am running the server or not.

Active Ports has the same problem

Yes, sometimes you can tell from the port numbers - whether they are
low or high numbers.

but maybe i have some server (maliciously against me or not) running on
a high port number for some reason. And a connection is established.
I want to know if the server si on my end.

I could port scan remotely to check/do an onilne port scan, or I could
se if my NAT device is port forwarding on that device. But isn't
there a prog that'll tell me? i'm surpised that netstat doesn't. But I
suppose to do that would require logging and remembering what happened
at the 3 way handshake.

I use the windows firewall. I have heard that sygate lists incoming
and outgoing connections, logging them. But, I had sygate crash on me,
and surely if i use af irewall i should use it for its intendd purpose,
not just to log connections.

MS ha a good port logging utility called "MS Port reporter" but it
doesn't say wich connections are incoming and which outgoing. And to
view the log is a hassle. ( the file is not readable when the port
logger is on. so i either open a copy of the file, or as MS
recommends, stop the port logger!!!).

I guess it's beyond netstat or active ports. And within the realm of a
port logger. But, is there a good one? MS Port reporter is the only
one I found. I tried wallwatcher, but it is a bit odd, asking me what
my router is. seems totally unnecessary, and a hassle to configure.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: network programming: how does s.accept() work?
    ... The program you contact at Google is a server. ... so, the server will usually assign a new port, say 56399, specifically ... connections to a server remain on the same port, ... sockets is what identifies them. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Nimda.E/unknown memory resident, internet-aware processes
    ... a client's NT 4.0 server was infected with what appeared to be ... network traffic and saw several suspect connections. ... one other connection to port 2787. ... along with about 500 other compromised systems on just that one IRC server. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: iptables newbie question
    ... so it's not a dedicated server. ... > merely want to limit connections on that port ONLY to the e-mail server ... do you want to be able to establish connections out to ... The same sort of thing happens for any request you make - dns, ntp, web, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Sun Volume Manager or Solaris Disk Suite
    ... keyboard or mouse connections. ... I have to buy a RJ45 cable that will connect to a DB9 adapter on one ... port). ... How would putty know that I am trying to connect to a server via a com ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)
  • Re: Finding a replacement for my ISPs smtp server
    ... AFAIK, the port 25 have to used only for servers connections, ... the clients have connect via 587, the port 25 for client connections is ... How does the server tell the difference between talking to another ...
    (Debian-User)