Re: router contains a built-in switch versus router without a built-in switch

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 09/17/05

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:13:47 GMT

CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in news:432B673D.60602@prodigy.net:

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>> jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote in

>>>If I only want to connect to 3 PC in a LAN, the router has 4 ethernet
>>>ports and it can do the job. If I want to connect more than 4 PC,
>>>then I need a switch. This is the scenario of two parts separately.
>>>
>>>I still don't understand because router with built-in switch has 4
>>>ports also, how does it function as the combination of router and
>>>switch together?
>>>
>>>Here's different types of routers I looked at:
>>>
>>>http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&pac
>>>edargs=c%3DL_Product_C1%26cid%3D1118334622279&pagename=Linksys%2FCommo
>>>n %2FVisitorWrapper
>>>
>>>BEFSR41 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch V4.0 (4 ports)
>>>BEFSR11 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router (1 port)
>>>BEFSR81 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 8-Port Switch V3.0 (8 ports)
>>>
>>>Another question, if the router has more than 1 port, then it must be
>>>router with built-in switch. Is that correct assumption? Because the
>>>traditional broadband router should only has 1 port?
>>>

>>>please advise more... thanks!!
>>>

>> The links below explain connecting two Linksys routers together. It
>> doesn't matter which ones or if it's wired or a wireless router or
>> any brand name of routers for home usage like D-link, Netgear, Belkin
>> and whatever.
>>
>> The long version
>>
>> http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.ph
>> p? p_faqid=358&p_created=1084209764
>> &p_sid=FJfGf8Dh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PS
>> ZwX
>> 3Jvd19jbnQ9MjM1JnBfcHJvZHM9MSwwJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0xLjE7Mi51MCZwX2N2PSZ
>> wX3
>> NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZw
>> X3N lYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdpcmVsZXNzIHRvIHdpcmVk&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>
>> The short version
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/9nvq7
>>

>> You disable the DHCP server on the router, then it's no longer a
>> router it's a switch.
>
> No, if you disable the router function (or just don't connect the WAN
> link), then it's no longer a router. It can still function as a DHCP
> server without being a router.

Well of course that's a given that you connect it to a LAN port on the
gateway router and DHCP is disabled on the second router that it is just
a switch. I don't recall any standalone *switches* that have DHCP.

And what your talking about above would be a double NAT-ed solution if
setup properly. I have never used a double NAT-ed solution but I think
that's what it is or could possibly be configured into but I could be
wrong.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Multiple access points to flood an area.
    ... But yes, in general, you put an access point where you want coverage and run wire back to the switch. ... It has been chosen because the native IP range 192.168.0.X of the D-Link does not overlap the 192.168.1.X IP address range of the router built into the 2WIRE2701 modem (wireless option disabled) ... They can be on the same subnet, just make one of the run DHCP and disable it on the other. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: XP, networks and TCP/IP
    ... that made windows not want to connect to the internet. ... So, DHCP doesn't work to get it online, again I have all ... router, presuming DHCP ... >> the computer to switch off or something, ...
  • Re: sharing a wireless router- need suggestions
    ... computers are pretty locked down. ... I configured the router and I ... provides 5 IPs (DHCP, not static), and just between my stuff I'm ... Modem plugged into switch ...
  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... DHCP running on the router. ... Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. ... you can set the SBS use fix IP by run the CEICW. ... all gust wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • help
    ... Network, routers, DHCP and PXE ... wget vs fetch ... It's a Thomson SpeedTouch 585 router. ...
    (freebsd-questions)