Re: Zonealarm new version

From: Paulcsf (paulcsf_at_mailinator.com)
Date: 09/17/05

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:25:26 +0100

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:25:04 -0400, Glen McLean
<gkmclean@cyberus.caNIT.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 01:45:34 +0100, Paulcsf <paulcsf@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:59:59 -0400, Glen McLean
>><gkmclean@cyberus.caNIT.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:57:04 +0000 (UTC), Sam <sam.sam@sam.samsam.com> wrote:
>>).
>>>I just updated over the top of the old as well - the only glitch is that "Pass Lock" does not work -
>>>doesn't show up at all in the Program_Control/Programs tab.
>>>

>>Do you have the free version of Zonealarm?
>>
>>The Pass Lock feature has been removed from the free version of
>>Zonealarm 6.0, and is now only available on the paid versions of the
>>program.
>>
>I was suspecting that, BUT, under
>Program_Control/Main/Custom_Lock_Settings there is still an option to
>"Allow Pass-Lock Programs to Access the Internet"
>
>AND,
>
>when you right-click the systemtray icon, there are still two options:
>"Engage Internet Lock" and "Stop All Internet Activity".

A clean install of free Zonealarm 6.0 still has these options set-able
too, but the passlock function definately isnt a feature of the free
firewall.

I think free ZoneAlarm 6.0 has actually the same code as Zonealarm Pro
6.0 but with some of the extra features just temporarily disabled.

You can upgrade from Zonealarm to the fully functional trial version
of Zonealarm Pro (with pass-lock) without actually downloading any
more code.

Id imagine the developers have chosen simply to disable the ability to
set and read the pass-lock atribute in free Zonealarm, but have left
the other parts of the interface as they are for whatever reason.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ZoneAlarm 5.1.011 is trashing attachments in downloaded newsgroup postings
    ... So you are saying that ZoneAlarm is forcing me to upgrade for a fee to ... Dont add a feature to a FREE product that forces people ... and the Attachments tab is only available in ZA Professional. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Which is better Zonealarm or Tiny Personal?
    ... I generally don't recommend ZA because it has some limitations: ... >up on Quake III and won't allow me to access the multiplayer feature. ... >Someone in a Quake newsgroup said I should get rid of the "crappy zonealarm ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Annoying ZoneAlarm Tray Icon
    ... >} I recently installed ZoneAlarm on my system. ... The taskbar icon constantly switches between ZA and the green ... If they want to have such a feature in their software, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • [NT] ZoneAlarm Pros MailSafe Insecurity
    ... ZoneAlarm Pro's MailSafe Insecurity ... MailSafe is a feature of ZoneAlarm Pro. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: New?? firewall idea, self-learning?
    ... > My copy of Zonealarm Pro 3.0.133 has this feature. ... So I was told by a friend who I send a bcc of my ... It is too bad Zonealarm has many additional features that don't ... Regards, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)