Re: Don't use a Firewall other than Windows Firewall?

From: Jason Edwards (none1_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 09/16/05

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:38:21 +0100

"Sam" <sam.sam@sam.samsam.com> wrote in message
news:dgdsuf$m9p$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Ok, so Volker Birk makes what seem to me to be some pretty good
> arguments why it's a waste of time running software firewalls offering
> outbound protection (on the basis that any software wanting badly enough
> to "call home" would in any case be able to bypass that firewall).
>
> But I haven't seen anyone supporting or for that matter refuting
> Volker's view. I'm talking here about basic firewalls such as ZA free,
> not something like ZASS which may well offer other advantages.
>
> So what's the view - should I reclaim much-needed cpu cycles by ditching
> ZA free or any other basic 2-way firewall altogether and just rely on
> Windows Firewall, and of course an antivirus scanner? And, of course,
> not installing anything I don't trust.

I'm currently sitting at a P3 550MHz with 256MB RAM and Radeon 7000
graphics.
The OS is Windows 2000.
It cost nothing to build because it's built of a mixture of parts discarded
by others.
It has no personal firewall software, no anti-virus software, no unnecessary
services and no unnecessary running processes.
Its performance at anything I want to use it for, including DVD playback, is
mostly indistinguishable from a recent 3GHz P4. No doubt there are tasks
which would go faster on a 3GHz P4, but it can work on those while I'm
asleep and have the result ready in the morning.
I don't believe in increasing complexity without good reason.
A system is easier for me to understand if it's less complex.
This makes it easier for me to secure it.
Increasing the complexity by adding more software would therefore make it
_less_ secure.

Jason

> You views very much appreciated.
> --
> Sam

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need advice about hacking and security
    ... All of my email accounts - Hotmail, Yahoo, ... > Outlook also requires a lot of tweaking to secure it. ... In some states, there are laws with teeth, ... > You probably need a firewall to start. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: What security package for SBS?
    ... I have a secure Windows network. ... I also have a secure MacMini and on occasion a secure Ubuntu. ... With a business class firewall stripping crap off all incoming traffic and properly implemented security policies in addition to giving your users absolutely no admin rights, there is no reason to believe you can't create a secure Microsoft Network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Firewall - Limit Geographic Area
    ... Firewall - Limit Geographic Area ... > times more secure than a Microsoft Windows machine can be). ... Redhat is conservative about what they release ... > - do not reuse passwords between your server and, say, random ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: EARTHLINKHOMEPAGE
    ... Clean up and Secure your computer. ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... I see that AntiVirus software is an absolute necessity. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: PC Hack Prob
    ... Windows Update ... Have I mentioned that Microsoft has some stuff to help secure your computer ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE ...