Re: Any advantage to 2 DSL's

From: Somebody. (somebody._at_spamout.russdoucet.com)
Date: 09/15/05

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:15:21 -0400

"wirelessguy" <law_40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123857134.430285.172930@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> So, even though both DSL lines are on the same shared line from the CO,
> then there is still benefit from having two lines?

Yes, there is. Each DSL is entitled to a given share of the bandwidth from
the CO. Even if the ISP horribly over-subscribes it, you get a second small
slice.

With a properly provisioned ISP, you get double the bandwidth.

-Russ.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Phone companies, sheesh
    ... When the bandwidth is shared, there is that issue where they want to ... DSL and other directly connected services ... When a DSL line is _dedicated_ to another ISP, ... That pipe is only so ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: {OT} Goodbye for a while
    ... and let them know that since Usenet ... Usenet is very low bandwidth to the individual customer, ... Basic rate DSL is usually a bit slower than Cable, ... VoIP telephone service they sell. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: [Telecom] Re: Emergency call boxes still in use article
    ... geeks used to have a separate line for their PC, now they use DSL.) ... The point of contention is moved away from you to the telco switch room ... You still have bandwidth issues. ... reconfigure the TV cable system with new trunk cables PLUS add more ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: Direcway is to Slow to Support Me
    ... > There's a bandwidth war currently underway. ... The cable engineer told me that I'd ... DSL is *MUCH* more reliable IMO. ... quick the consistent speed and reliability of DSL was worth far more ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: ADSL Bandwidth Monitoring
    ... thoughput allowed on your DSL lines with multiple DSL users sharing ... the same bandwidth, something that is generally known as contention ... Most DSL bridges/routers are adaptive and will downshift to a speed ... to the jack where the DSL bridge plugs in can do wonders. ...
    (freebsd-questions)