Re: sygate and shields up

From: Volker Birk (bumens_at_dingens.org)
Date: 09/10/05

Date: 10 Sep 2005 08:18:43 +0200

Keith <keith@microsoft.discussions.com> wrote:
> So , if I had a static IP and told you what it is, can you tell whether i'm
> online or not?

If you mean with that, that sometimes your computer is not connected
and sometimes it is, yes even if your computer is "stealthed", one can
detect that.

That is, because if you're not online, the router of your provider sends
a ICMP Destination Unreachable message, usually with code 1 (host
unreachable). When you're connected, then it doesn't.

> If I'm stealthed then I'm guessing the answer is no? Otherwise Yes

You're guessing wrong.

Yours,
VB.

deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
                                    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: writing, marriage, music
    ... What can they offer that online stores ... So why does B&N, and why did Borders, charge ... Ya know what, Keith? ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Gartner Says 3D Printers Will Cost Less Than $2,000 By 2016
    ... While in person vs. online seems like a sensible division ... interaction should kick Keith into another category. ... I "knew" former rasff poster Mark Whitroth online. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Publisher 2002 Activation
    ... I was actually able to do it using the recorded voice. ... wouldn't activate online, but via phone, no problem. ... Keith ... > Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher)
  • Re: Oh, Look, Its One of the Horsemen of the Infocalypse
    ... Keith F. Lynch wrote: ... newsgroup didn't exist until September of the previous year. ... already been online for 15 years. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Keith Alexander
    ... As a long-term lurker I've never met Keith or spoken to him online ... but hearing this was a kick in the guts. ...
    (rec.arts.bodyart)