Re: zonealarm problem new!!

From: charlie R (welpctSKIPME_at_psci.net)
Date: 09/07/05

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:29:23 -0500

"DNA" <original_dnaNOSPAM@XYZyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eBETe.2986$k22.2120@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "charlie R" <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote in message
> > problem.

> > > Thanks for the advice, but now whenever I re-boot the machine my
> > cookie
> > > control & ad blocking sliders go to the bottom off positions, so
> > have to
> > > manually re adjust them after start up, how do I fix this?. What
is
> > your
> > > opinion on sygate pro & outpost pro firewalls & how do they
compare
> > feature
> > > wise to zap pro, especially program security, cookie /ad
blocking &
> > blocking
> > > java, javascript & active X?
> > >
> > > Dee for N.
> >
> > Sorry, I've always used ZoneAlarmPro, so I can't help with
> > comparisons. I can, however offer a possible solution. I learned
> > from reading on the ZA forums, that sometimes, if the PC shuts
down
> > too fast, ZA doesn't get a chance to finish what it's doing, and
this
> > causes some settings to not be saved for next boot. You could try
> > shutting down ZA manually, waiting a minute or two, and then
rebooting
> > or shutting down the PC.
> >
> > Another thing to try- Use the custom button to configure cookies
and
> > mobil code, etc. When you've got it the way you want it, hit
Apply,
> > and OK out. When you've got all the settings the way you want it,
do
> > a backup of settings, and keep it in the ZA folder. Then you can
> > restore the settings if something gets botched. Backup and Restore
is
> > on the Preferences tab in the Overview section.
> >
> > One more thing, I run Win98. No longer supported, and newer
versions
> > freezing, and getting corrupted. I went back to 4.5.594, which
rarely
> > has any problems. A visit to Shield's Up shows all ports stealth,
(
> > sorry, V.B. ). I really like ZAP for ease of configuration, and
I'll
> > stick with the familiar so long as it works. Hope this helps.
> >
> > charlie R
> >

> Well I am running 4.5.538.00 pro on a p3-450!! Previously I was
using
> win98se with the same version, when I did a complete format & put on
Win
> 2000 pro I did not have the stated problem(s) until a few days ago.
I do not
> think it is a speed problem on shutdown as Win 2000 pro runs
slightly slower
> on my machine than Win 98se did, but I upgraded to get a more stable
version
> of Windows. I have tried the custom cookies & mobile code but I will
try the
> backup of settings idea. I like zap pro for the same reasons & have
used
> Steve Gibsons site to check for problems, got a clean bill of health
as
> well. What was the last 4.5.xxx version since if I use that version
it might
> help.
>
> tia Dee
Below is the link to the version release history page at ZoneLabs.
The 4.5.594 release may have fixed a problem with 2000. They were
cranking out new releases pretty often for a while there, to fix
problems reported. They never tell you about the bugs, but you can
read about them on the forums. Good luck.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

charlie R