Re: Free software firewalls I have never heard of before

From: Volker Birk (bumens_at_dingens.org)
Date: 09/07/05

Date: 7 Sep 2005 16:28:33 +0200

In comp.security.firewalls nemo_outis <abc@xyz.com> wrote:
> I don't know about the others but Look n Stop (the full version)
> regularly takes turns with Outpost as the number 1 firewall in
> independent reviews. (Look n Stop isn't very well known, though.)

Outpost is vulnerable to the SelfDoS attack.

It opens Popups with texts, which most users don't understand and
misinterpret.

Outpost cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information
across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the
"Personal Firewalls".

Outpost does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as
this is not possible at all.

Outpost "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
windows.

This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Agnitum show here,
that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/interactive_services.asp%23security_considerations_for_interactive_services

For a software, which should enhance security, this design flaw means the
declaration of bankruptcy.

Yours,
VB.

deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".