Re: Free software firewalls I have never heard of before

From: Jim Scott (mr.jimscott_at_Xvirgin.net)
Date: 09/07/05

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:24:32 GMT

On 07 Sep 2005 14:06:23 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

> Franklin <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in news:96CA5D2A7EB2071F3M4@
> 204.153.244.156:
>
>> I was looking for an alternative freeware firewall (I don't like
>> ZA, Sygate is nice but I get problems with it, Kerio 2.1.5 is too
>> technical for me, and Outpost is too hard to work out)
>>
>> I thought I had tried all the free firewalls but then I came
>> across this web page:
>> <http://www.klitetools.com/index.php?action=news&catid=47>
>>
>> I have never heard of products like these:
>>
>> R-Firewall 1.0 Build 53
>> Look n Stop Lite 1.04
>> Securepoint Personal Firewall 3.7.1
>> WyvernWorks Firewall 5.2
>> Filseclab Personal Firewall 2.5
>> SoftPerfect Personal Firewall 1.4.1
>> Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61
>>
>> Are they fully functioning full-strength firewalls? Many look as
>> if they are only just out of beta if the version number is
>> anything to go by.
>>
>> But others seems to have a mature version number and I have never
>> heard of them.
>>
>> What do people know about these?
>>
>> Frank
>

> I don't know about the others but Look n Stop (the full version)
> regularly takes turns with Outpost as the number 1 firewall in
> independent reviews. (Look n Stop isn't very well known, though.)
>
> See, for instance:
>
> www.firewallleaktester.com (that's 3 L's in a row!)

Look n Stop is not freeware.

--
Jim
         Tyneside UK

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Personal Firewalls
    ... One I don't list out below which I like the best is Outpost Firewall by ... Network Ice http://www.networkice.com/ ... The CyberArmor system is a personal firewall suite. ... In addition to protection from outside attacks, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: MAJOR Hacking
    ... > efforts with router, personal firewalls, etc. Brand new computer ... > (AIM, internet expplorer, svchost.exe etc) accessing the internet ... > server whose IP seems to be masked to my firewall logs. ... Kerio Personal Firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: thanks and Happy New Year
    ... The same is true for ones that shut down the firewall applications. ... > to the airport no longer has his home router to protect him, and, without ... we're back to people understanding how to use personal firewall ... Third would be to install a personal firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Zoned-Out Labs - DUMPS - all Win95 users!
    ... After several weeks of evaluation I found a better personal firewall ... Also Outpost has great on-line tech support forums and Agnitum ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Security of XP laptop with firewall
    ... but McAfee personal firewall plus and the XP ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... understand and utilize good passwords. ...