Re: NAT is not a mechanism for securing a network.. but.. HELP!

From: Volker Birk (
Date: 08/28/05

Date: 28 Aug 2005 08:46:17 +0200

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
> > A "firewall" is an agent which screens network traffic in some way,
> > blocking traffic it believes to be inappropriate, dangerous, or both.
> > (RFC 2979, Behavior of and Requirements for Internet Firewalls)
> And if you don't believe my other post following this, then a Switch
> with VLAN's is also a firewall - which we all know is not true.

I cannot see that a Switch with VLAN is blocking any traffic. If I configure
port filtering on a device, this device definitly is blocking traffic.

deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
                                    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Preventing/detecting a virtual terminal switch?
    ... Tim Roberts wrote: ... > Why don't you just pop up a window saying "please do not leave our ... For our application that's inappropriate. ... Users are not _allowed_ to switch to a different application. ...
  • Re: A 5-port 100Mbps Ethernet switch that works with SBS 2003 and
    ... NO, I REPEAT, NO switch is tested with any operating system because the switch operates at a different level of the OSI layer than the Operating System ... "Leythos" wrote: ... > the problem machine. ...
  • Re: [OT]Outtakes for October
    ... Switch to male pandas, they're easier to satisfy. ... I've had enough issues with "inappropriate use of teeth" from my ex.. ...