Re: Wrt54G is a FW appliance?

From: Greg Hennessy (me_at_privacy.org)
Date: 07/31/05

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:19:18 +0100

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:22:52 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>> If it's running the excellent sveasoft firmware, I would consider it to be
>> such.
>
>Send me a link to where it's passed any certification as a firewall.

Which has *what* to do with the price of fish ?

Try persuading me that the OpenBSD packet filter

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html

as used on OpenBSD, NetBSD & FreeBSD somehow isn't a firewall because it's
lacking 'certification'. Better still ask Theo that question.

Better still please tell the audience why IPFilter

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

which runs on over half a dozen platforms and is shipped and supported by
Sun as standard on Solaris, is lacking in the firewall dept just because
it lacks thinly disguised marketing bollocks called 'certification'.

I refrain from recommending products purely on the basis of a tickbox
marked 'certification'.

If you had spent five minutes figuring out how and why Sveasoft manages to
convert a so so broadband router into a truly useful firewalling
*appliance*,

Then you wouldn't have asked such a profoundly daft question.

http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/

Alchemy includes many feature additions over the Linksys standard firmware
including:

Hotspot portal
PPTP VPN server
Two-way bandwidth management (includes P2P, VoIP, IM)
SSH client and server
Telnet
Startup, firewall, and shutdown scripts
WDS repeater mode
Client mode (support multiple attached devices)
Adhoc mode
OSPF routing
RIP2 routing
Power boost to 251 mw
Antenna select
Static DHCP address assignments
Additional DDNS support
Wireless MAC address clone
VLAN support (hardware only)
WPA over WDS
WPA/TKIP with AES
Client mode WPA
Client isolation mode
P2P blocking/bandwidth management (Gnutella, Kazaa, etc)
Port triggering
Wake-On-Lan
Remote syslog
Remote Ntop statistics
SNMP
Safe backup and restore
Reset on firmware upgrade
Status includes system uptime and load average
Status for wireless clients and WDS
Site survey
Remote NTP server support
Supports new WRT54G V2.2 and WRT54GS V1.1 models

greg

--
"Access to a waiting list is not access to health care"

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [fw-wiz] VPN concentrators
    ... Hmmm, I have been through a scenario involving VPN, Anti-Virus & Distributed ... Firewalls and we found that we had a very clear choice between support ... The first issue arose when we attempted to codify firewall rule sets that were ... >>>features can be used if you match the client to the device (personal ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] AltaVista Firewall
    ... The server must run on Windows NT 4; the client has ... > Firewall (migrating away, but still need support). ... > how AltaVista is a search engine and not a firewall. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] httport 3snf
    ... > Having worked in the Firewall support role at several companies, ... I had my CIO approve my security policy. ... time educating him about Internet risk. ... There's also a very good "at what point is the firewall now useless" ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Presentation: Bypassing client application protection techniques with notepad
    ... Bypassing client application protection techniques ... Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 ... Last years were revolutionary for network services infrastructure ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Presentation: Bypassing client application protection techniques with notepad
    ... Bypassing client application protection techniques ... Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 ... Last years were revolutionary for network services infrastructure ...
    (Bugtraq)