Re: Possible security problem?

From: Simon Slavin (slavins.delete.these.four.words_at_hearsay.demon.co.uk)
Date: 07/29/05

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:58:36 +0100

On 28/07/2005, V=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=ronique Souchon wrote in message
<BF0E2409.12C46%veronique_souchon@hotmail.com>:

> This is what is so intriguing Tom. I am not at all expert but I am
> trying to learn.

Well I /am/ an expert and all I can do is curse Microsoft.

nmbd is part of the Samba distribution: it's the Unix implementation
of Microsoft's NETBIOS protocol handler. It doesn't do file sharing,
it does the Microsoft equivalent of something like DNS or Rendezvous.
It can be needed if you're doing anything in a Windows-like manner,
for instance talking to printers which only speak Windows, but if
you're just doing Unix or Mac you don't need it at all.

So do you have any Windows functions enabled ? Are you printing to
Windows computers or enabling file-sharing with Windows computers ?
If not, go to the Sharing System Preferences panel and turn everything
you're not using off. Then reboot. Then see if the problem continues
to happen.

Simon.

--
Using pre-release version of newsreader.
Please tell me if it does weird things.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Can Vista be "locked down" ?
    ... Standard users group-These are the least-privileged users, ... It's true that Linux won't run MS software. ... You're one of the two out of five Windows computers that aren't infected. ...
  • Re: Why bother?
    ... Windows computers are soft? ... Stonesown, Apple Store downtown San Francisco, CompUSA in San Francisco, ... it would be silly to get a Windows box for those reasons. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Can Vista be "locked down" ?
    ... No, I'm not and if you would Google it, you would see that it's true, three out of five Windows machines are infected. ... Yes, probably millions of Windows computers are infected, and don't know it, which would account for the recent successful DDOS attacks on Twitter and Facebook, for example. ... If yes can you supply an real empirical data to back up your assertion? ...
  • Re: I switched to Firefox because--Solved
    ... > The majority of end users Windows computers that I work on do not have ... > anti-virus and firewall software installed, ... > When I inform the Windows users about installing anti-virus, firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Not even a Windows fanatic would believe this...
    ... Windows computers than Macs, so Windows computers are more attractive." ... Some Windows viruses are highly specific; they target only certain ... "Windows computers" were running the same operating system. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)