Re: Hardware firewall with A/V and malware protection, recommendation request

From: Leythos (void_at_nowhere.lan)
Date: 07/13/05

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:22:56 GMT

In article <1121263926.993188.235670@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jordan@ccs4vms.com says...
> Leythos,
> thanks for responding. Those family members we've been able to
> convince have switched to Firefox, and either Thunderbird or Eudora for
> mail. Several are using NAT routers, two are even using older model
> Sonicwalls that we got cheap/used. Unfortunately that wasn't enough;
> one of them got their machine trashed this weekend by using IE to get
> windows updates, visiting 'just one site' before starting the process,
> and got infected; they were about 1 month behind on critical updates.
>
> I visited the site that nailed them using Mozilla on an OpenVMS
> workstation behind one of the new Sonicwalls with AV and IPS, and the
> firewall detected and blocked the vulnerabilities; kind of screwed up
> the web page display but if I'd been on a wintel peecee without the
> IPS/AV on the firewall it would have been up to whatever AV/malware
> software was on the peecee to stop it. That failed on the relative's
> system, perhaps because the exploit was too new for their AV software
> to detect (and that could happen with the firewall too since it relies
> on the vendor to update the detection info). More layers is better.

What AV product, specifically, were they running. I found the Symantec
Corp Ed 7.6 and above block almost every HTTP exploit since they
started.

They don't need a definition if you enable (and they are by default) the
real-time scanning and also the normal background checks.

There is also a clear document on using IE in secure mode that will
eliminate the problems with most cracked sites, but it also breaks most
good sites unless you add the site to your trusted zone - which I reset
to medium when doing that method.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hardware firewall with A/V and malware protection, recommendation request
    ... Those family members we've been able to ... > convince have switched to Firefox, and either Thunderbird or Eudora for ... they were about 1 month behind on critical updates. ... > the web page display but if I'd been on a wintel peecee without the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Thunderbird
    ... Updates contain security fixes. ... on a programming framework provided by Thunderbird itself, ... which Steve claims does exactly what he wants. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Thunderbird
    ... Updates contain security fixes. ... on a programming framework provided by Thunderbird itself, ... I'd describe it - some friction, ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: OT - Mozilla Lightning calendar
    ... In particular, will it mess up Thunderbird, and does it still lose all ... (After this mornings "upgrade" to TB 17.0 the top ... That's not a loss of data, ... After the Grim Sunday when bad updates of McAfee and Trusteer brought my new and old laptops respectively to a halt, I am even more over-sensitive about all this because I didn't find that a pleasant experience at all, even though I managed to sort it out eventually. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: OT - Mozilla Lightning calendar
    ... In particular, will it mess up Thunderbird, and does it still lose all ... That's not a loss of data, ... my first thought would be if you uninstall Thunderbird and choose to ... After the Grim Sunday when bad updates of McAfee and Trusteer brought my ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)