Re: Firewall for Win98/Me/2000 that filters incoming only?

From: Kerodo (loopback_at_localhost.com)
Date: 07/12/05

    Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 02:18:20 -0700

    In article <cnv6d1dc06mkn9updoekfvbsa7lguc8s6i@4ax.com>,
    mitebbotsnospam@yahoo.com.nospam says...
    > On 11 Jul 2005 07:43:47 GMT, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:
    >
    > >Tim S <mitebbotsnospam@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in
    > >
    > >> For my sister or people that have a hard time with a more advanced
    > >> firewall, something that just filters incoming only maybe?
    > >
    > >Incoming is not what you need to filter. It's outgoing.
    >

    > too advanced. just something similar to XP firewall. must be something
    > i can put on there for a bit of protection instead of wide open...
    > hmm...

    If you just want to filter incoming traffic, you might try CHX-I. It's
    a great packet filter. No app control, so no prompts etc. Will do what
    the XP firewall does but better. Register for a serial, it's free.

    http://www.idrci.net/idrci_products.htm

    Read the online docs for a basic understanding of it, and download the
    sample rule set, then modify if necessary for your needs. Pretty
    straight forward.

    --
    Kerodo

    • Re: Best free firewall
      ... How many posters were told to shut down outgoing scanning? ... WinXP's built-in firewall is barely adequate at stopping ... incoming attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. ... protect the computer user from him/herself. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: FIREWALLS
      ... I guess what I was looking for was a bit more on incoming and outgoing ... You mention outgoing trojan, but I think "outgoing" calls are important ... router and have the WinXP firewall activated....haven't tried it myself ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: How does outpost compair to ZAP?
      ... There are two diffrent kinds of outgoing protection. ... scans incoming and outgoing packets or connections for attacks and blocks ... Two A firewall can do that and a diffrent kind of outgoing protection, ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: VPN-XP question
      ... Well if my firewall is responding to the incoming I would guess it is ... If the firewall isn't giving me a request for an outgoing I would ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: XP Service Pack 2 Firewall Question
      ... Wrong, SP2 firewall is incoming only, read this: ... > JAX should YOU not do some reading YOURSELF as the firewall in SP2 XP ... > covers outgoing AS WELL as incoming. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)