Re: Bypassed software firewall?

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 07/10/05

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:36:51 GMT

GregRo <webworm11@lycos.com> wrote in news:3jbehgFp70g6U1@individual.net:

> I do disagree about software firewalls. Remember the Blaster Virus.
> I didn't have the update installed. The software outpost firewall
> 1.0 keep me from getting this virus.
>
> Since, I had the ghost backup. I disabled my firewall and got the
> virus right away.

<snip>

Personal Firewalls

Another technology commonly called a "firewall" and marketed as something
that will provide security for a network is the personal "firewall." A
personal firewall provides protection to a single device (typically a
personal computer) from an untrusted network (typically the Internet).
Again, when compared to the firewall definition, personal firewalls do not
meet the criteria. They do not control access between two networks; they
control access to one specific device.

<snip>

A PFW or (packet filter lack of better words) I don't consider being a FW
solution. It's machine level protection that protects the O/S, services and
Internet application running on a machine.

Duane :)