Re: Bypassed software firewall?

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 07/10/05

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:36:51 GMT

GregRo <webworm11@lycos.com> wrote in news:3jbehgFp70g6U1@individual.net:

> I do disagree about software firewalls. Remember the Blaster Virus.
> I didn't have the update installed. The software outpost firewall
> 1.0 keep me from getting this virus.
>
> Since, I had the ghost backup. I disabled my firewall and got the
> virus right away.

<snip>

Personal Firewalls

Another technology commonly called a "firewall" and marketed as something
that will provide security for a network is the personal "firewall." A
personal firewall provides protection to a single device (typically a
personal computer) from an untrusted network (typically the Internet).
Again, when compared to the firewall definition, personal firewalls do not
meet the criteria. They do not control access between two networks; they
control access to one specific device.

<snip>

A PFW or (packet filter lack of better words) I don't consider being a FW
solution. It's machine level protection that protects the O/S, services and
Internet application running on a machine.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Identity P/W and Security question
    ... If all you use the permanent connection for is surfing, ... A firewall that just blocks all incoming connections ... and a virus scanner to take care of the mail worms is all they've ever ... >> around the net surfing news sites or whatever it does the job. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: help again !!!
    ... Were the virus definitions up-to-date? ... If Windows XP, was internal firewall enabled? ... Third party firewall (like Zone Alarm or Norton Personal Firewall) present? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Zone Alarm (free addition) and Netscape dialup accelerater.
    ... How do I know that the scanner knows about the virus? ... by non-technical home users. ... times has your personal firewall bothered you with popups in the last 6 months? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: VIRUS FILE IN TEMP FOLDER
    ... Virus file found in temp file wrote: ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... I see that AntiVirus software is an absolute necessity given ...
  • Re: spyware is ruining my computer
    ... > I seemed to have picked up a trojan virus. ... > I always refused to download that thing. ... disable your Windows Messenger service. ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)