Re: Sygate also major slowdown?

From: Quaestor (no.spam_at_my.place)
Date: 06/24/05

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:59:55 -0700

elaich wrote:

>Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> wrote in news:11bh23q27c3uk45
>@news.supernews.com:
>

>>What must I allow through for w2k to function? What can I block?
>>

>I found that the excellent (but currently defunct) blackviper.com is
>being mirrored here:
>
>http://kye-u.hopto.org/mirror/blackviper/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
>This page can tell you lots of things about what services you need, don't
>need, etc.

Thanks, this is most helpful. It still doesn't directly address the
question of what to let through the firewall and what not, but it deals
with some of that.

>Personally, I never let anything connect that doesn't need to. Windows
>2000/XP come with all kinds of services that not only want to connect to
>the Internet, but are not at all needed by a home user. Blackviper tells
>you which ones are safe to disable.

It amazes me what a vast effort is needed to overcome the vast effort MS
puts into making their OS the biggest vulnerability and resource problem
on the net. :-\

--
Philosophy: That attempt to explain why so much about life makes us cuss.