Re: Regarding Bypassing the firewall

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 06/23/05

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:24:12 -0400

On 23 Jun 2005 05:06:17 -0700, ravicse04@gmail.com spoketh

>Hi ,
>
>my question is clear. I just try to understand my question again
>briefly.
>Actually I am doing work on vedio confrencing product So Regarding this
>I have a question:

Your question, in your mind, is absolutely very clear. We know that you
know what it is you are saying. However, something is getting lost in
the translation, which makes it difficult for us to understand what it
is you want to do.

>Q- When we will in Confrence then for the protection of our confrence
>we have to configure our firewall regarding out side attack and I want
>entry of that person who is authorised to do confrence this means that
>we have to do some configuration manually in firewall setting.So I just
>want to know that there is any method for which Without configurating
>the firewall we can give the permission to authorised person or in
>another word without configuration bypasss the firewall.
>
>Ravi

Although the question is becoming clearer, there's still some room for
interpretation.

If the video conferencing is initialized on the inside of your network,
you should only have to create one rule one time to allow the video
conferencing device (one single static IP) to make an outbound
connection. Allowing this outbound connection should not create any
significant avenue of attack for any outsiders, as inbound access is
still limited.

If the video conferencing is initialized on the outside, then you need a
rule on the firewall to allow this traffic from the outside to the video
conferencing device, which does create some additional risk. The rule
should be very specific to only allow the traffic to the video
conferencing device, which should be off and/or disconnected when not in
use. Also consider using a DMZ for this, to prevent any issues on your
protected network.

But, if you don't want to leave it open on your firewall all the time,
then you'll need to enable/disable the rule(s) on the firewall each
time.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

  • Re: computer question
    ... > see if there are new video drivers for the card. ... it doesn't sound like your video card is shot. ... with rules in the firewall. ...
    (rec.outdoors.camping)
  • Re: Video Error with Xbox 360 Extender
    ... Thanks I applied the hotfix and now my video works even though I have ... and now the mpeg files are playing on the xbox. ... disabled the firewall but I still could not play the vids. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: ISA & Windows Messenger
    ... I need video and audio conferencing through ISA server and I don't whant ... open many incoming ports om my firewall. ... Is it secure for my internal network to open many incoming ports on ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: Security issues when viewing vids from a remote system
    ... The server in question is all part of the same network, which is to say they are all on the same side of the firewall. ... Try and play it on System B by accessing it in its location on System A, and the file plays the sound, but has no video. ... allow the codec to be run if the related file is remote. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • Re: Regarding Bypassing the firewall
    ... Q- When we will in Confrence then for the protection of our confrence ... we have to do some configuration manually in firewall setting.So I just ... > work that would be done in Instant Messenger. ... > - Any discussion about the bypassing or not of firewalls would ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)