Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML

From: Art (null_at_zilch.com)
Date: 06/23/05

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:19:28 GMT

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:51:36 +0100, Chris Salter <chriss@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Art wrote:
>
>> You're thinking "inside the box" again. Try using a little imagination
>> and creativity.
>>
>> For xDSL, high gain rotary antennas at every telco office sweeping a
>> radius of up to four miles ... backed up with digitial cracking sw ...
>> should do the trick very nicely.
>>
>> In my geographical region where the only ISP offering xDSL is owned by
>> the telco, such monitoring boxes don't seem very far fetched or even
>> very futuristic. They could be produced in volme at relatively low
>> cost. More futuristically and generally, I envision close cooperation
>> between telcos (who have an interest in this as well) and ISPs.
>>
>> Cable providers will want to jump on this bandwagon as well ... and
>> they will help defray the costs of monitoring in return for the info
>> provided.
>
>Sigh....

Sigh back :)

>How would the Telcos prove that the wireless signal they have found is being used by
>
>a) their customer

By pinpointing (to some extent) their geographical location and doing
a bit of detective work.

>b) carries internet access on it and

By the nature of the rf signals, obviously, and packet content once
cracked.

>c) being used illegally

See above.

>I have wireless in my house, its has nothing to do with my ISP what I do with my wireless signals, or what my wireless signals carry.

Not if you're freeloading ISP service. You're safe for now only if you
use strong WAP.

>Suggesting that ISPs/Telcos have the right to sniff and crack communications is utterly mad.

Methinks thou protesteth to much. You must have something to hide.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... >> In my geographical region where the only ISP offering xDSL is owned by ... >> the telco, such monitoring boxes don't seem very far fetched or even ... >> cost. ... Not if you're freeloading ISP service. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... > In my geographical region where the only ISP offering xDSL is owned by ... > the telco, such monitoring boxes don't seem very far fetched or even ... I have wireless in my house, its has nothing to do with my ISP what I do with my wireless signals, or what my wireless signals carry. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... > In my geographical region where the only ISP offering xDSL is owned by ... > the telco, such monitoring boxes don't seem very far fetched or even ... I have wireless in my house, its has nothing to do with my ISP what I do with my wireless signals, or what my wireless signals carry. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Optus makes customers pay to fix its blackspots [telecom]
    ... it is a ploy by the telco to force customers to pay for mobile network ... upgrades that the telco should be making itself. ... There is an upfront cost of between $60 and $240 to ... The product is based on a new wireless technology called "Femtocell" ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: SNMP on OSX ?
    ... whether you will actually get the information you need via SNMP. ... The telco is intercepting traffic bewteen me and my ISP as PPPoE packets ... the telco will be billing the ISP for my particular usage. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)