Re: Firewall- What is the best?

jeffreyalsip_at_gmail.com
Date: 06/18/05

    Date: 18 Jun 2005 10:49:05 -0700

    >With a workstation running a personal firewall, or anything that "YOU"
    >install and setup on a PC, you run a serious risk of screwing up
    >something with the OS or the Firewall or the firewall settings, at least
    >more so than with a dedicated appliance

    More shameless SmoothWall bashing. These guys are doing a serious
    injustice by whipping up a lot of fear about "complex setups". My
    Smoothie was easy to setup...and runs Ad-Zapping, ClamAV, Dansguardian,
    as well as giving me access to EXTENSIVE log files. All of this running
    on a $20 PC. Don't dismiss the comments by these critics...they are
    simply running scared. These expensive appliances (that they seem to be
    sleeping with) are going to have to drop their prices dramatically, if
    they hope to compete in the future. NOBODY whom I have demonstrated
    SmoothWall too, has left with anything but a strong desire to set one
    up for themselves as quickly as possible. We advocates of this
    Free-ware system have enjoyed the last few years of relative obscurity,
    but the cat is out of the bag now. Smoothwall breathes life into legacy
    hardware by turning it into one of the finest, most versatile Firewall
    Solutions on the planet.

    • Re: Firewall- What is the best?
      ... >>something with the OS or the Firewall or the firewall settings, ... >>more so than with a dedicated appliance ... > More shameless SmoothWall bashing. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Problem about ppp -nat
      ... ipfw firewall, ... Just setup your fw of choice as if the tun0 device is the external device and leave all the nat stuff completely out of it. ... My Internet interface is rl0, ... # /etc/rc.d/routing restart ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: SBS 2003 SP1 Premium Issues (including ISA 2004 installation i
      ... If the CEICW runs then you should have the SBS 2003 SE RRAS firewall setup ... I don't have any clients that use PPPOE ... At the moment, the PPPoE connection ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: MCE 2005 Xbox 360 Extender PC Setup Cannot find Xbox 360 on Ne
      ... > You are currently talking to someone at Microsoft on the Extender team :-) ... The dump below is how my registry looks now. ... I wasn't sure what puts those registry entries there (is it setup ... This is typically due to firewall issues, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
    • Re: [opensuse] why no "cups" entry in YaST Firewall Allowed Services in 11.3?
      ... not the setup more secure. ... You say that we are still free to open the port in the firewall. ... Of course, but what is the point of YaST, if not making administration steps ...
      (SuSE)