Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML

From: Jim Byrd (jrbyrd_at_spamlessadelphia.net)
Date: 06/17/05

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:56:33 -0700

Hi Ron - No, if you've already let A2 clean things (except c:\null?), then
that's OK, although I'd at least run it again and be sure it's still clean
in Safe or Clean Boot, then again after a normal boot (if you didn't already
do this). These things can often re-infect themselves.

As to rootkitresponder - it would be good IMO to increase your confidence
that this (a rootkit) hasn't happened, given the atypical circumstances of
your infection. But of course running this and using the HiJackThis
approach are entirely your choice. Those were just my recommendations,
since in my experience multiple tools can give more complete confidence in a
clean system, particularly when starting from an unknown infection point.
(For well know infections there often exist specific tools which are very
efficient in clean up that specifc malware.)

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=3&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13

http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=d3c2c886d536d57b5f65b6e40c55365e;act=ST;f=27;t=6949

>> or Tom Coyote here:  http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=idx
>>
>> or Jim Eshelman's site here:  http://forum.aumha.org/
>>
>> or Bleepingcomputer here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
>>

>> Register if necessary, then sign in and READ THE DIRECTIONS at the
>> beginning of the particular sites HiJackThis forum, then copy and
>> paste both files into a message asking for assistance, Someone will
>> answer with detailed instructions for the removal of your
>> parasite(s).  Be sure you include at the beginning of your post
>> "What problem(s) you're trying to solve" and "What steps you've
>> already taken."
>>

>> --
>> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
>> My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
>>
>> "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> So I ran A2 and it found ~130 things....mostly cookies which don't
>>> really count as everything finds cookies.  It also found my same old
>>> c:\null(Trojan-Downloader.Win32.QDown.s) and two dialers plus
>>> (TrojanSpy.Win32.KeyLogger.t).   I gonna leave c:\null there awhile
>>> and try to determine the circumstances that it's detected next time.
>>>
>>> "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... Hi Ron - No, if you've already let A2 clean things, then ... But of course running this and using the HiJackThis ... At www.virustotal.com the AVG was the day's before AVG ... AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: ccLogviewer error message
    ... possibly a virus. ... From a different, clean machine download Stinger ... and HijackThis from http://aumha.org/freeware.htm. ... Do not install drivers from Windows Update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Java Byte Verify virus
    ... I'm having a similar problem as the other people but my AVG virus detector is ... > CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners. ... > scan with HijackThis. ...
  • Re: Reinstall of XP
    ... A recovery cd will wipe the slate clean and start over.. ... BEFORE connecting to ... load AVG or something better.. ... She has AVG for virus protection ?? ...
  • Re: Virus wont let me run certain programs
    ... me from running certain programs (exe files). ... HijackThis. ... It's as if the virus ... allows AVG to run possible because AVG was already installed but AVG is ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)