Re: IPCop for Small-Business Network: Web Proxy Usage

From: Robert de Brus (de_brus_at_h)
Date: 06/17/05

Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:27:46 +1000

In news:1119012077.175733.279020@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
astanko@gwdg.de <astanko@gwdg.de> typed
|| Hi All!
|| Our small-business (5 PCs) has its LAN connected to the internet
|| through ADSL (1 Mbit downstream, 128 KBit upstream). Now I decided to
|| use IPCop. First I wanted to use an old Pentium 166 for IPCop, but
|| the system should operate 24/7 so I ordered the following hardware:
|| - VIA EPIA PD-6000 fanless board (with VIA Eden ESP 600MHz Processor)
|| - Morex Cubid 2699 case with external fanless power-supply
|| With the fanless VIA board and the fanless power-supply of the Morex,
|| even if the small case-fans should stop working there should be no
|| problem I think. Actually I want to try to use the systems without
|| any fans running...
|| Unfortunately I have not found many info on the web proxy feature of
|| IPCop. I hope the CPU will be fast enough for our small-business
|| firewall/router with one VPN tunnel and the proxy turned on.
|| I also have to decide how big my HDD should be. Any ideas what would
|| be a good proxy cache size for my setup?
|| Any other comments on my setup are welcome!
|| Thanks a lot and best regards!
|| Anguel

For a LAN as small as yours your IPCop box could even be considered
overkill.

600MHz is more that enough.

But don't take my word for it, check out the forum and ask your questions
there www.ipcops.com

Relevant Pages

  • IPCop for Small-Business Network: Web Proxy Usage
    ... Our small-business has its LAN connected to the internet ... First I wanted to use an old Pentium 166 for IPCop, ... firewall/router with one VPN tunnel and the proxy turned on. ... Any other comments on my setup are welcome! ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: D-Link DFL-700 Firewall Router - Im impressed
    ... And IPCop requires a computer, requires setup by a competent user, requires that you maintain the computer.... ... "{Acts as a PPTP Server with multiple users able to be setup in groups or permissions. ... IPSec Remote client to gateway VPN (roadwarrior) ... Transparent POP3 antivirus/antispam proxy ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re:
    ... Installieren, einstellen, fertig, ohne in den Eingeweiden des OS eumzumachen sondern einfach über einen WebAdmin. ... Die Subnetze sollten als erstmal strikt getrennt sein. ... sollte nicht als Proxy eingesetzt werden ... das der IPCop den Internetzugang ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: IPCop for Small-Business Network: Web Proxy Usage
    ... Unfortunately I have not found many info on the web proxy feature ... of IPCop. ... > Maybe your Celeron with 128MB had a hardware problem, ... I have my IpCop running on an Compaq 2000 with 32MB ram and a 3Gbit HD ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Broadband speed
    ... On my PC, which has a P4 HT3.2, fetching from the IPCop proxy happens ... clearing the local cache between fetches. ... IPCop and in 26 seconds from its own cache. ... http://www.lewisgilbert.co.uk/archiology for old Acorn software items ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)