Re: Firewall needed behind router?

From: Charles Newman (charlesnewman1_at_comcast.spammers.go.away.net)
Date: 06/14/05

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:22:23 -0700

"Moe Trin" <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote in message

> of which most are running at home (and badly infected), very few are
servers
> because of massive security problems built into the O/S, fewer still are
> Internet facing, and only a few do more than perfunctory IP networking. By
> the way, your 95 percent figure is advertising copy unrelated to facts.

    Well, like I say, I have switched to using third-party
software, such as AllegroSurf. I find that it is not
as vulnerable to attack as Microsoft ICS. If you do
use a Microsoft Windows server, do use a third-party
program, such as AllegroSurf, you will find your
system not as vulnerable.
      While I still get the rare malware infection, my
network is much more secure with ProxyPro,
AllegroSurf, or Wingate, than it us using native
Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
Most worms take advantage of flaws in ICS,
which do not exist in third-party products

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Duplex/Speed Hardcoding
    ... Most of the time is caused by someone installed a new connection and left everything in auto. ... I am between the ages of 45 and 55 and have been in the IT field a very long time I am not nor have been a programmer, started out designing communications and networking equipment as an electronics design engineer. ... We follow the same rules, hard coding servers and infrastructure devices, and letting clients negotiate on all 100M ports. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: FreeBSD 10 Beta2 /etc/rc.d/named script and /etc/defaults/rc.conf
    ... -// servers in 'forwarders' do not have the answer. ... -// a slave at least for the zone your own domain is in. ... configuration file of BIND domain name servers). ... -# REQUIRE: NETWORKING syslogd named ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: FreeBSD 10 Beta2 /etc/rc.d/named script and /etc/defaults/rc.conf
    ... -// servers in 'forwarders' do not have the answer. ... -// a slave at least for the zone your own domain is in. ... configuration file of BIND domain name servers). ... -# REQUIRE: NETWORKING syslogd named ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: HP to axe 30,000 jobs to cut costs
    ... Enterprise Servers, Storage and Networking will invest to accelerate its ... performance continued to be impacted by Itanium revenue declines ... "Business critical systems, not surprisingly, still facing challenges ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: WIP: /etc/rc.d/xdm RCORDER problems
    ... >>This will create a dependency problem if combined with a line that contains ... > BEFORE LOGIN ?no?. ... two important things that these servers might need to operate normally. ... NETWORKING and SERVERS dependencies. ...
    (freebsd-current)