Re: Firewall needed behind router?

From: Charles Newman (charlesnewman1_at_comcast.spammers.go.away.net)
Date: 06/14/05

    Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:16:35 -0700

    news:MPG.1d17f8013f39cfc398990a@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
    > In article <Q-ydnRe5f_hoVDDfRVn-2w@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    > @comcast.spammers.go.away.net says...
    > > I am going on what they taught me in networking
    > > class in college in 1999. We were taught everything
    > > you ever wanted to know about Microsoft Networking.
    > > That is becuase Microsoft dominated the computing
    > > world back then and still does today. Windows runs
    > > more than 95 percent of the world's computers.
    >
    > In 1999 MS DID NOT DOMINATE THE NETWORKING WORLD, networking and MS have
    > very little to do with each other. MS utilizes networks, but does not
    > make any networking devices, no routers, no switches, no anything

        They do have their own buit-in router, ICS, though
    I do find third party software to be much more
    secure as not as vulerable to attack as the Microsoft
    ICS program

    • Re: [SLE] ...and speaking of SuSE / Novell...
      ... >> just checked my textbooks form college. ... > hadn't yet noticed that whole networking thing. ... Bear in mind that Microsoft and IBM were at one ... Novell saw NT coming and tried to head it off with UnixWare. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: How to prevent system from replying to Ping (ICMP Echo) requests?
      ... "Ping of Death" - a ping with an effective size over 64k, ... Microsoft finally managed ... 1500 packets per minute is only 25 per second. ... each 64K long (I'm not aware of any networking protocol using packets larger ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Cannot connect to Server
      ... As the issue disappeared under Safe Mode with Networking, ... Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK. ... UNCHECK the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Problems getting some web sites on second PC
      ... Microsoft MVP, MCSD ... Please excuse as i'm new to networking etc. ... > The 'Host' PC has the cable connection and works just fine. ... > I have Formatted the Client PC. ...
    • Re: One thing I noticed
      ... > Then networking started and the IT department crept back as network ... "Microsoft has become what it used to mock," says Gabe Newell, a developer on the ... monitoring productivity, and yet we knew they had spectacularly bad productivity. ...