Re: Firewall needed behind router?

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 06/14/05

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:49:48 -0500

In the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
<Q-ydnRe5f_hoVDDfRVn-2w@comcast.com>, Charles Newman wrote:

>I am going on what they taught me in networking class in college in 1999.

I really do want to know the name of this college. It sounds more like
a MCSP class taught at Office Depot than anything a reputable school
would teach.

>That is becuase Microsoft dominated the computing
>world back then and still does today. Windows runs
>more than 95 percent of the world's computers.

of which most are running at home (and badly infected), very few are servers
because of massive security problems built into the O/S, fewer still are
Internet facing, and only a few do more than perfunctory IP networking. By
the way, your 95 percent figure is advertising copy unrelated to facts.
You could find more accurate figures if you used your search engine instead
of parroting half remembered course material.

Microsoft got into TCP/IP thirteen YEARS behind the crowd. With the rest of
the world thirteen years ahead of them, they _could_ have learned from the
vast experience - but no - microsoft follows standards (including their own)
like an elephant follows migrating whales - it really can happen by chance,
but the chances are very poor, and microsoft usually goes out of it's way
to avoid this if at all possible. The result is a pirated network stack
based on Berkeley code, but otherwise butchered.

        Old guy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Pirate software
    ... >> little chance that Microsoft will be able to act on the tip. ... >> get permission to search the company for illegal software. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Pirate software
    ... >chance that Microsoft will be able to act on the tip. ... >the licenses and avoid any ugliness at all. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Pirate software
    ... chance that Microsoft will be able to act on the tip. ... With the small number of licenses you're talking about, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: OWA cannot write new mail, reply or forward
    ... Since you have not chance to try my steps, I would like set this post's ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... | Content-Type: text/plain ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Whats wrong with VS.NET/2005
    ... Since I won't make it to the summit I guess this is my only chance to be ... Wish VS2005 would switch to the error list automatically. ... I think Microsoft is doing that to us. ... MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)