Re: Firewall needed behind router?

From: Peter in New Zealand (peterbalplug_at_xtra.co.nz)
Date: 06/11/05

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:14:54 +1200

Heck no! I completely understand what you are saying. I personally hold the
view that anything man invents man can get around sooner or later. I believe
the only perfect security solution as far as the Internet is concerned is
the good old "ptpo," or "pull the plug out." I guess it's a matter of
deciding how much security one needs and setting up accordingly. I run
McAfee antivirus and firewall on all machines, check for updates daily,
never open anything I shouldn't, and that is adequate for my setup, at least
IMHO. With confidential sensitive data, financial records, etc, I would
probably want more security, but all that stuff is on a completely isolated
machine. In the end, if anyone really deeply wants to rip off my bank
account I guess they could, but for all that's in there they are welcome to
it.

Good comments though, and I value your point, particularly as I suspect from
your post you know more about this than I do. Thanks.

--
Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
"Duane Arnold" <Notme@notme.com> wrote in message
> If you think that some personal FW solution is some kind of a stops all
> and
> ends all solution, then you have a long way to go. You need to find out if
> the router has logging and use a logviewer like Wallwatcher, Kiwi Syslog
> Daemon or some other kind of logviewer and watch inbound and outbound
> connections to/from the network to possible dubious remote IP(s) as
> malware
> can circumvent and defeat all of it once it has compromised a machine.
>
> http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/#routers
>
> Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Attachment indicated by the paperclip
    ... I didn't have to reinstall etc. AVG. ... security status and email scanning I could under properties and the plug ... if you are using AVG for your anti-virus and have e-mail scanning ...
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] [NANOG] IOS rootkits
    ... It doesnt need publicity at security conferences ... I think security conferences have become something that sucks as its ... I know the national security boys at MI5 are listening, ... What I want is a high profile pulling the plug of this presentation to ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Online banking security measures
    ... I have been using PC banking with HSBC for a Very Long Time. ... Does anyrat have experience of any of these additional bits of security ... If it's anything like the Barclays gizmo, you don't plug it into anything. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Plug & Play
    ... > CRC & others say disable the Plug & Play because of security issues. ... > use ZA Pro, will I be protected from hackers trying to exploit these ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: printer sharing and security?
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... new Thinkpad on which I am able to use WPA security, rather than staying with WEP. ... I always see "file and printer sharing" and I know that for security reasons, that should stay off, so I don't know if this can be done without impairing security. ... Print servers are cheap now of days. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)