Re: Firewall needed behind router?

From: Charles Newman (charlesnewman1_at_comcast.spammers.go.away.net)
Date: 06/11/05

    Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:21:23 -0700

    "Peter in New Zealand" <peterbalplug@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    news:TOSpe.6157$U4.875691@news.xtra.co.nz...
    > I have three PCs on a LAN which is connected to the Internet via the
    > modem/router unit. Is there any advantage in having a software firewall
    (in
    > this case McAfee) on these machines, or would the router be sufficient
    > protection? There's no requirement for inter-PC protection - just from the
    > Internet. We just recently upgraded to broadband after a decade of dialup,
    > so it is all a bit new to me. The tech told me the router is configured to
    > prevent DOS and hacker attacks, and I understand a little of the theory,
    but
    > not a lot, so I apologise if this is a silly question. Thank heaps for
    > helping.
    >
    > --
    > Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    > Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
    > compulsive computer fiddler.

       Get another PC and use that as your network
    controller, instead of your router. Next, get a program
    such as Tiny Personal Firewall, and use that to protect
    your PCs. Because of the way that Tiny works, you
    will need to be running proxies on the gateway machines
    in order your your client machines to be able to get
    out. Programs such as AllegroSurf or ProxyPro
    are even better then ICS. They are much more
    secure, I find that when I use one of these program,
    I am not receiving a lot of the scans that I would with
    ICS. The way that AllegroSurf and ProxuyPro work,
    using one of these two programs instead of your
    hardware router will work well. In fact, AllegroSurf
    is a LOT better than ANY hardware appliance out
    there. Allegrosurf will ONLY allow outbound
    connections to either proxies configured under
    allegrosurf (or with another proxy server). This
    combined with TPF can create a secure system
    Also, AllegroSurf, combined with Tiny Personal
    Firewall is the ONLY way that will successfully
    block Kazaa.
         If you should ever find a need to block Kazaa,
    using AllegroSurf, combined with Tiny Personal
    Firewall is the ONLY way you can stop it. AllegroSurf
    and Tiny Personal Firewall, on a gateway machine,
    can stop things that hardware firewall appliances just
    CANNOT DO. A few people may say otherwise,
    but AllegroSurf, combined with Tiny Personal Firewall,
    on a gateway machine, makes hardware appliances
    obsolete. You should do this, if you are SERIOUS
    about system security.

    • Re: Firewall needed behind router?
      ... > System Restore on the gateway machine OFF, ... Is there any advantage in having a software firewall ... >> such as Tiny Personal Firewall, ... Programs such as AllegroSurf or ProxyPro ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Firewall needed behind router?
      ... System Restore on the gateway machine OFF, ... System Restore off, if you use AllegroSurf. ... > such as Tiny Personal Firewall, ... > is a LOT better than ANY hardware appliance out ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Firewall needed behind router?
      ... anyone offering music outbound through your network. ... >> AllegroSurf, combined with a software firewall, such ... > mind is going to use a PFW solution on a gateway machine. ... proxy server on the gateway machine. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Firewall needed behind router?
      ... AllegroSurf only permits direct connections ... > network setup to shut down Kazaa shouldn't be allowed near computers. ... matter of telling the firewall not to let the socks proxy ... > Yes Charles, you are not a network admin, because you lack the skills ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: What home class cable/dsl routers have IP blocking feature?
      ... I am trying to block my home computers from accessing a ... > as a gateway machine. ... The way AllegroSurf ... appliance with no problems that the IP requests. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)