Re: Firewall needed behind router?

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 06/10/05

Date: 9 Jun 2005 19:44:02 -0500

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:18:50 +1200, "Peter in New Zealand"
<peterbalplug@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>--
>Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
>Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
>compulsive computer fiddler.
>"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:09:09 +1200, "Peter in New Zealand"
>> <peterbalplug@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>I have three PCs on a LAN which is connected to the Internet via the
>>>modem/router unit. Is there any advantage in having a software firewall
>>>(in
>>>this case McAfee) on these machines, or would the router be sufficient
>>>protection? There's no requirement for inter-PC protection - just from the
>>>Internet. We just recently upgraded to broadband after a decade of dialup,
>>>so it is all a bit new to me. The tech told me the router is configured to
>>>prevent DOS and hacker attacks, and I understand a little of the theory,
>>>but
>>>not a lot, so I apologise if this is a silly question. Thank heaps for
>>>helping.
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> This isn't a silly question. This question gets asked almost daily, and
>> should
>> be asked more.
>>
>> If you have multiple computers on a LAN, and any one of them is used for
>> Internet access of any type, you should have a personal firewall on each
>> one of
>> them. If any one of them should get infected, it could be with a combined
>> threat that enters the LAN as browser data, and then attacks other
>> computers on
>> the LAN. Having a PFW on each one could save the others, and could alert
>> you to
>> the infection.
>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/please-protect-yourself-layer-your.html
>>
>> The broadband tech needs to educate himself a bit more. Why do you think
>> that
>> there's no requirement for inter-PC protection?
>>
>> --
>
>Brilliant, that's what I needed to know. It makes a heap of sense to me,
>which was why I needed some expert guidance, and I enjoyed reading the blog.
>The "tech" perhaps needs a brief explanation. Telecom NZ have been
>threatened with being forced to unbundle their lines for other ISPs unless
>they make it easier and cheaper for people to get onto broadband. The
>deadline is looming and their are keen to get the required numbers onto it
>before it expires. That's how I got onto it after a decade of dialup. The
>whole deal, with the cabling and router supplied cost me a grand total of
>$56NZ. This sort of deal has triggered a huge surge of demand, and anyone
>who can push a plug into a hole basically is being called a tech and put
>into the field to meet the demand. Mostly their answers are canned responses
>learned by rote to set questions. They're a sort of walking robot FAQ I
> [...]

Peter,

Thanks for the update, and for the encouragement.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Relevant Pages

  • Learning (was: Licence on two computers....)
    ... OP asked if Office Standard 2007 could be installed on his/her two ... Several of the early responses, mine included, referred the OP ... the license was obtained, on what the OP meant by "two computers", I'd like ... Did they bother to search the past posts on the newsgroup? ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: VPC machine on an IBM Thinkpad x-term video problem
    ... > Enrique, you've been giving good answers and helpful, thoughtful responses. ... > Peter, I'm afraid, is a hopeless case who gets his jollies by snarking at ... functioning reflection of his own feelings or motives into his ... But someone whose innate behaviors brings him at ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Peter Huang (an open letter since e-mail bounced)
    ... Given that Peter appears to be an employee of Microsoft, ... While a bit wordy, I find Peter's responses to be courteous, if nothing ... By saying "I'm looking into the problem" at least he's showing he gives ... and less noise then Peter saying he's looking into the problem? ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Best Coolpix for HD and low light too?
    ... "Peter" wrote in message ... computers is to edit memory card AVCHD video, which is VERY CPU ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: World and folk etymology
    ... In response, someone (Peter, I ... "Why can't you people trim you responses?", February 19, 2009 ... Peter T. Daniels: "I quote exactly as much as is needed for the context of the answer, and netcopping by Harlan -- especially by starting a new thread! ... Lacking the exact words "do as I please" but a protest against "netcopping" amounts to as much. ...
    (sci.lang)