Re: Need good/simple/free firewall - older computer

From: Casey (casey_at_notspecified.net)
Date: 06/02/05

    Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:23:29 GMT

    In article <1117726151.851771.156970@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    richard_m919@hotmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a free firewall that will just do the basics -
    > block/all any applications from accessing the internet (check for
    > modified programs), stealth mode on all ports (no response
    > (open/closed) to unsolicited scans), and preferably blocks
    > http-referrer. I don't care about customizations beyond that.
    >
    > The laptop has a 133mhz pentium and Windows 98SE with 48MB of ram.
    > Most of the free firewalls I've found require a newer processor or more
    > memory.
    >
    > I tried Kerio, but it keeps crashing the system. I read the system
    > requirements and it says I shoud have 64MB of RAM. (Everything else
    > runs fine on the computer.)
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Richard, Take a look at Sygate. I believe it will meet most
    of your requirements. Requires 32Mb ram and 10 Mb free disk space.
    This might be helpful.

    Unofficial Help:
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html

    Sygate Forums:
    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

    Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
    http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/pspf/default.htm

    Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free (See what's inside each one)
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/comparison_spf.htm

    d/l
    http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php

    Casey

    • Re: Can anybody recommend a site about Sygate?
      ... > Can anyone point me to a good site about setting up Sygate free version? ... Sygate Forums: ... Users Guide and Quick Start Guide: ... Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: the BEST firewall
      ... > - DeerField Visnetic Firewall ... Sygate Forums: ... Users Guide and Quick Start Guide: ... Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)