Re: REPOST: Authentication, Authorization TO Firewall

From: Greenhorn (teachgreenhorn_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/25/05

    Date: 25 May 2005 08:19:27 -0700

    Hi,
          Thanks for the reply.
    I would like to put the query in a better form.

    Do firewalls provide dynamically defined access
    control i.e., can they act as access controllers.
    e.g., it should be able to do the following, a user
    tries to access a resource, the packets would come to
    the firewall, if they are HTTP packets and the user is
    new (from IP address not being in the authenticated
    list), the packets would be redirected to a webproxy,
    the webproxy tries to get the user authenticated by a
    AAA server (say RADIUS), the firewall would get an
    authorization message from the AAA server (or
    webproxy), saying the time the user must be allowed
    access, the resources he can access etc.
    The firewall would provide that access.

    Can this be done by the firewalls in the market such
    as Checkpoint firewall-1

            greenhorn.

    P.S. Walter, thanks for all your replies.

    • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls acting as access controllers
      ... can they act as access controllers. ... > the firewall, if they are HTTP packets and the user is ... > list), the packets would be redirected to a webproxy, ... > authorization message from the AAA server (or ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • [fw-wiz] Re: Firewalls acting as access controllers
      ... i have tried this and it worked out with PIX firewall and the content ... if they are HTTP packets and the user is ... > list), the packets would be redirected to a webproxy, ... Mail has the best spam protection around ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: iptables and dhcp
      ... > the same physical network segment as the firewall and the remote DHCP ... You used INPUT and not FORWARD chain ... # This target allows packets to be marked in the mangle table ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Trouble accessing Outlook Web Access from behind firewall
      ... When starting the firewall I also set ... > rejected and dropped packets are logged, however I see nothing in my log ... > # Higher ports needed to accept incoming/outgoing calls ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Visnetic and 8signs firewall LOOPHOLE Read....
      ... I said I am just reporting bug in your Firewall, ... From the Port Scan/Properties control screen: ... The firewall filtered 100% of the packets that were received. ... operating system (I'm talking Windows, ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)