Norton 2005 blocking my internet?

From: mini chifa (frustratedmaster_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/17/05

Date: 16 May 2005 16:08:10 -0700

Hi, I've got an HP Desktop with Windows XP Home. A few months ago we
bought Norton Internet Security 2005 and Visual Basic .Net.

Not long after we got those programs, our internet (Dialup from Juno)
quit working. I would try to get online, it would connect and I could
browse for about 10-30 seconds before getting kicked offline.

This went on for a while and I bought a new modem (Intel 56k something
or other). It worked better than the old LucentWin for about a week,
then it too succumbed to the disease and had the same problem. I'd get
online be able to browse for about 10-30 seconds, then it would stall:
It would send out data but not recieve anything.

Now it seems to have gotten worse. I can't even browse for those
precious 10-30 seconds. It just gets on, tells me it's connected at
36-49kbps... and nothing. It can't connect to ANY web pages, not even
Google. It will stay "connected" for about another 30-45 seconds before
getting booted off.

Desperately, I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp,
reloaded Norton, .Net, Juno, ... It worked for about a day, then back
to the same problem, connected but no data coming in (Approx... In:
700bytes Out: 3100) before getting kicked off.

I uninstalled Norton and it worked again for another day, then just
this afternoon the problem is back... AGAIN!

It's driving me insane, I hate having to go to the library just to
check my email, or get info for school.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this problem?...
I'd REALLY love to get my internet back and working the way it should

Thanks for anything!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Adequate Security
    ... I think you will be fine with Norton CE and Windows XP Firewall particularly ... The firewall that comes with Norton Internet Security will also ...
  • Re: Windows Firewall wont start; Auto Private Addressing on
    ... whereas if I log onto Windows right away, ... stack and I now can connect to the internet. ... Security Centre reports Firewall is active, ... I had Norton 360 which must be told to "trust" the wireless network ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: possible virus? and how get rid of it...
    ... >>>I have Windows XP. ... >>> I use the internet rarely, and it's usually to Yahoo email, and I never ... >>> download any security downloads they had to try and fix it. ... >>> download that is on Microsoft.com plus ran Norton. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: wired-wireless-internet connection interference
    ... My Windows Live touble shooter ... firewall issue' (I've turned OFF my windows firewall and do not believe ... Norton has one activated)<-This is where the 'rub' may come into play. ... Check very carefully, and see if you have "Norton Internet Security", or "Norton ...
  • Re: Security/Performance questions.
    ... > reasonable levels I have attempted to deactivate Norton Internet ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows ...