Many hits registerd by firestarer

From: Agustin (verycoolman_at_mail.com)
Date: 05/06/05

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 21:34:45 +0200

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could tell me if all the hits being rejected by
firestarter should be a cause for worry, or is this just some automated
scan?

I am a Linux home-user, on Debian Sarge, connecting through ADSL by means
of a TCM 420 Cable Modem, which I believe has some kind of filtering
deployed, as the results of online scans such as grc shields-up are
identical, whether running Debian Sarge, Live Linux or Windows XP.

Observing the firestarter logs on Debian I notice that many of the
incoming connection always blocked are destined to port 17300 for a
purported Kuang2 service (according to website info this is virusware);
Others habitually blocked are for Service Samba (SMB) 137,138;
Backdoor-G or Sub-7 TCP on port 27374; TCP connection service "Auth"
(What is this?) on port 113; ms-sql-s TCP port 1433;

As all of these incoming connections are being blocked should I stop
worrying? In any case, I'll probably bootup Windows XP tomorrow to check
the firewall logs there too

Thanks for any suggestions,

Agustín

Relevant Pages

  • Securing Ubuntu Linux (was: Re: sudo without password)
    ... when you first try to open a port. ... The way I've seen Windows Firewall ... Firestarter already allows this to be done. ... you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" -- ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Am I infected with Back Orifice 2K?
    ... > I've configured with the GUI program Firestarter. ... > now, some ports are open to exchange files via bittorrent, ... Firestarter is just reporting traffic on port 54321. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: DHCP appears not to be working
    ... >Did the firestarter open the dhcp ports? ... I think it broadcasts on port 68 ... When I ran the firestarter wizard, I added DHCP to the list of stuff I run. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: intelligent iptables guis
    ... > port numbers wide ... Ah the joys of Linux, ... Claude here is the link to the firestarter homepage: ... For bittorent, first make sure that the port you wish ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: how do you display incoming and outgoing connections in windows?
    ... > turns out not to be a bug in netstat. ... For an incoming connection, there is only one entry involving whatever ... the tcp port eg port 21. ... I think the best way is to use a logger. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)