Re: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 05/06/05

    Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:04:10 -0500

    In article <s4km7197n2hfcd3deqovd1rfe1csgbc5l4@4ax.com>, Vic Dura wrote:

    >I'm new to firewalls and have just started using Sygate PF. While
    >reviewing the SPF logs, I notice a lot of traffic to:
    >
    >OrgName: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)

    No, your firewall is attempting to dazzle you with useless bullsh1t. The
    IP address in question is one set aside by IANA (10.0.0.0/8,127.0.0.0/8,
    169.254.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16, and 224.0.0.0/4 being
    representative examples) for some purpose. Your firewall wants to claim
    to identify the source of packets (it can't do that accurately), and so
    provides intentionally misleading information.

    >Can anyone tell me what that is about?

    It's this thing called an Internet. It's a group of private networks that
    allow you to see this news article. The coordination is done by the
    'Internet Engineering Task Force' (also in Marina del Rey). They delegated
    the assignment of numbers (IP addresses, ports, protocols) to IANA. IANA
    then assigns (FOR EXAMPLE) the authority to allocate IP addresses to the
    (currently) 5 Regional Internet Registries (AFRINIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC,
    and RIPE - respectively Africa, Asia/Pacific, North America, Latin American
    and the Caribbean, and Europe) who actually parcel out addresses to ISPs,
    companies, and governments. See the web page at
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space, and the many documents
    at the IETF, especially RFC1180, RFC1519, and RFC1878, available from many
    places - try http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0000.txt (replace the four zeros
    with the four digit document number).

             Old guy