Re: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

From: Ken (ng3122_at_ke9nr.#nospam#.net.invalid)
Date: 05/06/05

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 07:15:23 -0700

Hi Vic -

On Fri, 06 May 2005 07:09:12 -0500, Vic Dura
<vpdura@CLUTTERhiwaay.net> wrote:

>I'm new to firewalls and have just started using Sygate PF. While
>reviewing the SPF logs, I notice a lot of traffic to:
>
>OrgName: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
>Address: 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
>City: Marina del Rey
>StateProv: CA
>PostalCode: 90292-6695
>Country: US
>
>Can anyone tell me what that is about?

IANA is the organization that assigns whole blocks of IP addresses to
specific purposes. So IP addresses that are not assigned to RIRs for
allocation to ISPs will show as belonging to IANA.

This includes, but is not limited to, the IP address ranges allocated
for private use:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: iana
    ... IANA is the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, ... You will need to find out whether your computer is sending packets out to ... rey,ca.mcaffe sucessfuly blocks this to date.anyone know ...
  • martian source: any IP gurus?
    ... OrgName: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority ... OrgID: IANA ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
    ... Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) ... your firewall is attempting to dazzle you with useless bullsh1t. ... It's this thing called an Internet. ... then assigns the authority to allocate IP addresses to the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IP addresses on local network change
    ... only thing I would add is that the extension (port/service) number is ... A list is kept by the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) and ...
    (Fedora)