Re: Netscreen 5GT for home network?

From: Munpe Q (funyon_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/05/05

Date: 4 May 2005 19:07:00 -0700

The 5GT-ADSL will do PPPoA and PPPoE. The others will only do PPPoE.
I'm not aware of any differences between functionality that would make
a difference in your description. Most of the time I would encourage
people to use the ADSL model and just hold on to the other POS that
they provide for troubleshooting. Qwest likes to NAT behind their POS
Actiontec, and I have only ONCE got it to actually route, but that was
freakin' painful and I hated every second of it. If you're not being
NAT'd good for you. But for those who are and if you dump your DSL on
to the box then you route / NAT / transparent mode that mophucka any
way you want.

Use DHCP reservations and then setup your policies.

DI is a lighter version of Intrusion Detection. It also is NOT
protocol agnostic on the firewall. They want to sell more IDP.
And yes, naturally web filtering and content management or not protocol
anomoly detection / malicious packets as DI is.

-Word out to my bruthas in the struggle, stay strong and never give up
the fight-

Munpe Q

Relevant Pages

  • Re: pppoe routing problem, default route isnt used for some hosts
    ... I can't connect to some hosts in the ... route for this Hosts use the default gw. ... (its also not an provider problem, when i made the pppoe connection from windows I can connect to alls hosts) ... set iface addrs 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • pppoe routing problem, default route isnt used for some hosts
    ... I can't connect to some hosts in the ... route for this Hosts use the default gw. ... (its also not an provider problem, when i made the pppoe connection from windows I can connect to alls hosts) ... set iface addrs 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: PPPoE question
    ... Doing nat in pppoe is not normally done. ... Doing nat as part of your firewall process is the accepted place. ... set authname YOURLOGINNAME # Replace with your ISP account ... NIC's FBSD interface name. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Fortigate 60 and PPPoE DSL
    ... however it has defaulted to using the PPPoE DSL link, ... PPPoE becomes the default route" and really not giving a guide on how ... Make sure the default route you added for the other interface has the same ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Sympatico ADSL on freebsd
    ... I've set up PPPoE with Symaptico a couple of times with Sympatico. ... nat same_ports yes ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)